I had a visit today from a new sewing machine collector. She stopped as she was driving thru my are to see my 'herd' of vintage sewing machines. This blue sewing machine was the only one I showed her that has a tail (electric). I purchased this machine the end of August, and hadn't had time to clean it up or play with it. (see post here)? Well, while it was out, I decided to clean all the lint out of it and see if I could convert it to a hand crank.
This machine was drowning in lint! When I took the motor off, there was carbon dust everywhere. Some of it was 'glued' to the machine by old sewing machine oil. I've been afraid to plug it in and try the motor, since the wiring is so bad (see pictures below). I was afraid I'd start a fire. I'd like to re-wire the motor and foot pedal one of these days and see if the motor still works. After LOTS of oiling, I got this lady to turn easily. I took the spoked hand wheel and the hand crank off of my Singer Spartan, and, they both fit this machine. I threaded the machine (something I'm not good at, especially since I don't have a manual to show me how this machine should be threaded), and she sews! Yipee! Now I have to order another hand crank and spoked hand wheel just for this machine.
motor, foot pedal and wiring
old scary wiring
My 'herd' consists of (currently) 4 full treadle sewing machines, 2 treadle heads, and (when I get the other hand cranks in) 4 hand cranks. I'll show the other hand cranks as I get them converted. 2 of the treadles will be leaving this Sunday, if everything goes right. They were supposed to leave 2 weeks ago, but, the lady couldn't make it that day.