Tuesday, August 14, 2018

New Machines

I've really been trying to put myself on a sewing machine diet, but, it isn't working. 

On Monday, I was trimming my Clue #5 blocks from the Sapphire Star mystery, and decided to take a short break, after trimming half the blocks. 

I headed to the computer to check my email.  Another onion (Treadle On member) that I've known for several years had sent me an email, asking if I knew of how she could find new homes for some of her treadles.  Was I interested?  Did I know of anyone who might be interested?  I told her that I had plenty of treadles and wasn't interested, but I'd try to help her.  (See, I said 'NO' first). 

Judy sent me pictures of the treadles she was trying to sell.  Oh My Goodness!  She was trying to sell a lovely White in a parlor cabinet, and a Singer in a Drawing Room cabinet.  I've wanted a Drawing Room cabinet for YEARS now.  I'd had a chance at one earlier this summer, then the lady backed out.  Her hubby decided that she needed to keep that cabinet after all.  :(

I asked Judy how much she wanted for the treadles (hoping that it would be way above any price that I could afford).  Nope, she mentioned a terrific price for the pair.  SOLD! 

I've wanted a Drawing Room cabinet for years now.  I'd passed one up, not long after I started collecting vintage machines, and I've regretted it ever since.  Well, I have one now!  When you see the pictures, you'll understand why this cabinet is so special. 

The Drawing Room cabinet came with a 1919 Singer 115 sewing machine.  The presser foot had been taken off, to be used in another machine.  Judy called it a 'parts' machine.  So far, the only part missing is the presser bar.  I can take one of those off one of my 'parts' machines in the basement.  This machine turns so nicely, and is clean and well oiled, with lovely Tiffany decals.  It looks very much like the Singer 15 hand crank that is my main machine (at the moment). 
1919 Singer 115

lovely decals all over

missing presser bar should be where the red chopstick is
There are some attachments that came with this machine, too.  Two of them are pretty bent up, but, I can bend them back in place, I think.
Singer attachments

Now for the lovely Drawing Room Cabinet.
Singer Drawing Room Cabinet No. 32 Embossed

Swoon!  The next pictures will show the different doors open, and inside the cabinet. 
with side doors open, showing the drawers and the treadle irons

with the front center doors open

with the front and back doors open

side door open showing the treadle irons

back of Drawing Room cabinet (doors closed)

with the machine
One of the cool features of this kind of cabinet is that the machine goes down into the cabinet.  It doesn't fold over, like in most cabinets, you push the machine down, and, using hydraulics, it goes down.  There is a small button on the front of the cabinet, and you hold the machine with one hand, and push the button with the other hand, and the machine pops up.  (make sure to keep your fingers out of the way).  The last photo shows the machine sitting down inside the cabinet.
machine sitting down inside the cabinet

See why I love this style cabinet???  This cabinet is now the first machine you see when you come in my front door.  Poor Victor has been moved out of his spot of honor.  Don't worry, I'm keeping Victor and his cabinet. 

I can put almost any of my full size Singer machines in this cabinet.  They may have to take turns.


Remember that I said I got TWO machines.  The other machine is a White VS (vibrating shuttle) VI in a parlor cabinet. 

1903 White VS VI #1399942

look at the lovely decals on this machine

The White also came with some accessories. 
box of accessories and a few extras

I also got several bobbins, and lots of needles.  Did you notice the 2 business cards in the picture?  Take a closer look.  See the phone number in the top right corner of the bottom card? 
business cards that were with the bobbins and needles

When was the last time you saw a phone number like that?  I was a kid when those numbers were used (and only in rural areas at that time). 

Now for pictures of this lovely parlor cabinet.
White parlor cabinet

open, with the machine

showing the drawers built into the doors

top of closed cabinet

detailed embossing on side of cabinet

Even the back of this parlor cabinet is decorated.  They included vent holes, for air.  The vent holes in this cabinet are in the shape of hearts.
see the vent holes on the back?

up close

See why I couldn't resist either of these treadles?  Monday, the 13th, was my LUCKY day! 

29 comments:

  1. I can see why you said yes! Beautiful machines and cabinets. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those cabinets are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what beauties, the machines and the cabinets! I have never seen cabinets like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful machines! They are lucky to have found a home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What gorgeous machines and cabinets! You don't always see these and when you do, they are never for sale for a reasonable price. They look like they belong in a museum. You are so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, these are all beauties, but that cabinet is absolutely beautiful. I had no idea such existed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I have one sewing machine cabinet like those. It's used mostly like a piece of furniture in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful cabinets and machines and I'm so happy they found their way to your loving home for wayward machines! LOL
    ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheryl, what beautiful cabinets indeed! And both machines have such lovely decals too! I wouldn't have been able to pass them up either!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!!! Yes, I'd have had trouble passing those two up LOL!! Great score. And, a 115...we see them more often here in Canada but they are great full rotary machines...and you even got bobbins with it. They are special bobbins. They sew so smoothly. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are so o o beautiful. The good old days when craftsmanship was important. Thanks for showing them off. I've never seen cabinets that pretty.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Cheryl,
    Your machines and cabinets are gorgeous!!!
    Your Singer 115 is much prettier than mine. It sat in a shed for who knows how long. https://tinyurl.com/hssl7gw

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! TWO parlor cabinets - lucky you!! Enjoy your new stitchers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, it took me years to find a parlor cabinet. Had to drive 80 miles to get it. My machine looks just like yours. how do I know if it is a regular 15 or a 115? It sews like a charm. The only thing missing is the back cover by the foot pedal. I wish my decals were not so faded, but I love mine. I think the hinges on the front door need help on mine. It is just the best cabinet and machine!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd never heard of a parlor cabinet so what an interesting post! Thanks for sharing! I bet it makes you happy just to look at them! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cheryl, I see why you went off your diet. What a beautiful pair of cabinets and the machines are spectacular. Lucky lucky lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are too funny! Love your cabinets!! They're beautiful. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Swoon is right! Oh how beautiful these cabinets and machines are! I have never used a treadle: I envy those who do!

    Debbie H

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have never seen such an elaborate cabinet - how beautiful no wonder you couldn't pass it up - I love your machines - thanks for dropping by my blog so I could come over here and see what you have and now I am green with envy!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have never seen a such an amazing cabinet before!! I am so happy your finally got one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are so beautiful! I could not have resist either.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful! I have an 1893 White VS III, and I'm supposed to be selling it. It does free motion wonderfully and puts a lot of machines to shame. Those White VS machines are the secret of the sewing world.
    The phone numbers are a trip. I have a needle case from the New Haven MI Elevator with Phone 10 on it. Later on New Haven was Pioneer PI-9. I can't find anyone in their 90s who remembers "Phone 10."

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Nice machines to add to the collection. The Singer machine looks fabulous. And wow also for the beautiful cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What beautiful cabinets!! I've never seen machines in cabinets like these. Can't quite see how one could sew at the machine in the first cabinet.... Is that quartersawn oak wood panels on the second cabinet - that is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It really was your lucky day! The cabinets are nearly as beautiful as the machines!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW...I have NEVER seen cabinets like them. Stunning and so beautiful. Good for you to have them as someone who appreciates the machines and cabinets. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your new machines! They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Cheryl, you have truly be 'Blessed' with two outstanding parlor cabinets and their sewing machines!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).