Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Quilting Frustrations

I should be working on the Sapphire Star borders, but I decided to quilt the Deer baby quilt instead.
Deer baby quilt top

I spray basted it on Tuesday, and just didn't want to wait to quilt it.  I have Shannon minky on the back.  I've used regular dotted minky many times, with no problems, but, this minky has a really long nap on it, and it's giving me fits. 

First, I echo stitched around the deer with my walking foot (I don't do free motion quilting).  The quilt is heavy, with minky and batting.  It just doesn't want to 'feed' like it should.  My stitches are uneven. 
echo quilting with the walking foot (notice the long nap on the minky backing)

The worst part is that the long nap is coming thru to the front of the quilt.
nap from the minky coming thru as I quilt

Next I echo quilted inside the deer.  There was still a bit of the nap coming thru on the deer, but much less, I think because of the fusible.

I was going to do more echo quilting, but, I was tired of fighting with the quilt.  I decided to do some straight line quilting.  I'd planned on doing cross hatch quilting in the open places, but, with the nap coming thru, and trying to wrestle the quilt, it wasn't worth the trouble. 

After following the edges of the border, I knew it needed more quilting, so I pulled out the blue tape. 
stitching down either side of the blue tape

I wound up stitching across the hooves and part of the deer.  I was using tan thread, and it shows across the brown.  I think I'll get my brown Micron pen and color those threads.
you can see the tan thread on the hooves

tan thread across the top antler

I'm hoping that the nap threads that came thru to the front disappear when this quilt is washed.  I've run my fingernail up and down the stitches along the back, and it hasn't done any good.  I know I won't be using this type of long nap minky on the back of a quilt again.  I'll stick to the dotted minky instead.

I have been working on something else this week.  I pulled fabrics and cut batting for 12 more project bags.  I've even quilted the backs.  I still have all the other parts to cut out.  That will be done this weekend, at quilt camp in Ottawa.  I'm teaching the ladies how to make project bags.  We'll be selling them at our Quilt Show in March 2019. 




12 comments:

  1. Oh, no! That Minkee sounds very frustrating. I've never had an issue with any Minkee that I've used except it's messy. Today I'm feeling like I've been very lucky. I hope things start working much better for you. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nuisance! I have never used mingkee so have no idea what to do. The only thing I could imagine is using a different size needle? But maybe you have tried that too. But the quilt tuned out super non the less and no doubt will be loved. (Good idea about using some felt pen to cover up that sewing line).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain. Nothing like having everything ready and disaster strikes. I have never used minky as I am afraid of it and how it will last. It will probably be loved to death.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The minky has always scared me when I think about quilting it. So I just never have. But then I didn't think you would use batting when using minky on the back....shows what I know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a complete chore....this is suppose to be fun. But the straight line sounds like the best one to use. I best things will look better once it is washed and those fibers get to relax.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How frustrating! Your idea of covering the thread with a micron pen is a good one. I hope the minky on the right side will disappear with a good washing too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well shoot I know that feeling all too well of not having things go the way we want with the fabric not cooperating while quilting. Sorry it caused you such fits. I have not used minky at all (yet).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't enjoy backing my pieces with minky, though I have from time-to-time. I run into the same sort of issues. Persevere!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. how did it come out in the wash? I am sitting on the edge of my seat in suspense. I didn't think It looked that bad in some pics. In other pics I could see what you were talking about. I have a scrappy minky on the UFO list and all info is good info!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have no idea what a minky is. Too bad it gave you problems.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry the minky wasn’t playing nice. It’s is frustrating when something like that happens! The quilt still looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I sure hope washing settles them back in! I'd have never thought of having that issue but I don't have much experience with minke. I love it, but it's so darned fuzzy!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).