Friday, October 26, 2018

Churn Dash baby quilt tops

I love to make Churn Dash quilts.  They are simple and fun to make.  Each time I make them, they look different from the last time, with the different color and fabric changes.

I need to make 4 different baby quilts.  One of the babies is already here (Oops!), but the other 3 babies are due in 2019.

I pulled some fabric the other day for the 'freebie table' at quilt guild, and decided to keep one of the fabrics and used it for the centers of these churn dash blocks.  I made 2 identical quilt tops.

See, I really did make 2 tops

The colors aren't showing up well.  I do NOT have pink in the quilts.  That pink is really a nice wine color with tiny pink lines running thru it.   My secret sister gave me that fabric back in February, for Valentine's Day (I have a GREAT secret sister!).  And that color on the bottom, that looks like black is really a dark green.  All the colors were pulled to go with the center fabric.
center block fabric

All of this fabric came from my stash.  I'll back these quilts with Minkee.  I may have enough Minkee in my stash, too.  I can use the center block fabric for the binding.  I have plenty of it left over.

As for the new baby (already born) she was using her big sister's quilt last night.
big sister's baby quilt

It's nice to see something that I made, actually being used.  Since so many of my quilts head off to far off places (family all over the country) I seldom get to see the quilts being used.  

Tomorrow, hubby and I are headed to Michigan.  My Michigan TOGA group gets together for sew-in's once a month.  I'll be picking up a Willcox & Gibbs treadle for a friend of mine.  We are the 'pony express' for this machine.  I'll also get some time to stitch with the ladies, too.  I'll try to remember to take some photos while I'm there.


16 comments:

  1. Cute baby quilts. I like the colors not the "traditional ones". Have fun at TOGA. I got roped into helping the church for the fall festival at the last minute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your churndashes with us. Great quilts. Wish I had a close TOGA group. Treadling all alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The churn dash quilts are so pretty. Simple is best I think sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute baby quilts! I love the way you used the center fabric to tie it all together. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great dashes! I've never made that pattern.
    Have a great time at your TOGA party.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love churn dash quilts too! It's a simple, striking block.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute! You know, I've never been big on the churn dash block but lately it seems to be growing on me. Seeing a lot of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's nothing more pleasurable than a Churn block. I really love that feather fabric and became very useful for these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love making baby quilts! They are small enough not to be daunting.. haha! Would you believe it, I've never made a churn dash quilt, I've made the occasional block but never a whole quilt. I love how yours looks and the centre fabric is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have given away so many baby quilts and I never know if they are used or not. I did give several I-Spy quilts to the siblings of the baby, suggesting they use the quilt to teach their new brother or sister words, and suggested games they could play with the quilt. One parent told me the other day that the baby has not yet had a chance to use it as the older kids are always playing with it. Fine with me. At least it is being used.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your churn dash quilt. I have been wanting to make one-maybe next year. You just gave me an idea to use a charm pack, I have had for a long time, for the centers. I will need to pick up a few solids to with. Have fun at your Sew-in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the churn dash quilts....very pretty! I'm sure they will be well loved! Have fun at the stitching time!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good idea to leave the centers all the same! I’ll have to remember that. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the print you used for the centers -- really cute! Glad you got to see one of your quilts being used, too -- that is heart happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE the quilts, and how nice you got to see your's being used. I know what you mean about colors not showing up right sometimes on the internet. Not sure why that is. I often have trouble with purple looking blue and red looking pink.
    Traveling Suitcase

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your baby quilts. Great use of that free fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).