Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Misc. Sewing

This is my first 'complete' finish for 2019.  I actually finished it Jan 13th, but haven't had much time to blog.  This is winging it's way to it's new owner now.
table runner

showing fun floral backing

The hearts are paper pieced and can be found for free here.  I pieced this on my 1927 Singer 15 hand crank, and quilted it on my Janome.  Most of the fabric in the hearts are scraps leftover from my son's wedding signature quilt

Last week my large quilt guild had a schoolhouse as the program.  I was one of 4 people who taught different quilting techniques.  I taught several different ways to make Flying Geese.  I taught this to my little quilt guild last August and wrote a blog post about it then.

On Saturday, I taught a mug rug class at church.  Because of the weather (snowing all day), several of the ladies didn't attend, so I'll be teaching this again this coming Saturday.  Here are the ladies who attended, and the mug rugs that were completed.
ladies making mug rugs

Ruth's

Kelly's

Carla's

mine

I have kits prepared, but still need to cut out fabrics for a couple more kits.  These mug rugs come in sets of 7, that you quilt as you go.  You can get Spiritual, Uplifting or Quilty themes.  They also have a YouTube tutorial on how to make these.  They are fun and quick to make.  All the fabrics are from my stash.  Here are some of the kits I have leftover, that will be used for the next class.





My friend Marilyn just had a special birthday.  She had been wanting to have an ice cream party at Colonial Cafe on her birthday but her hubby planned a trip, so she was out of town.  Well, Colonial Cafe is known for their 'Kitchen Sink' ice cream sundae.

The 'Kitchen Sink' sundae gave me an idea, and several of her quilting friends helped out.  On Sunday we surprised Marilyn (at Colonial Cafe, of course) with her own 'Kitchen Sink' full of 'fabric' ice cream.
Marilyn & her kitchen sink full of fabric ice cream

I'm way behind on several baby quilts.  I made 2 quilt tops back in October, but didn't get them quilted until this month.  Today I finally finished the binding on the quilts.
1st Churn Dash baby quilt

faux piping binding

back of 1st baby quilt

The 2nd quilt I used some poly batting that I've had for a while.  My Janome wasn't happy trying to quilt thru it, with minkee on the back.  The walking foot didn't want to walk very well (the layers kept shifting), so I machine quilted much less than on the first quilt.  That left some spaces without enough quilting.  Well, the baby this quilt is for is named Zariah, so, I used her initial and hand quilted it in those spaces.
hand quilted 'Z'

Here is Zariah's finished quilt.
2nd Churn Dash baby quilt

pale yellow minkee backing
The yellow backing doesn't show it's true colors.  It is really a deep butter yellow.  I used faux piping binding on both of these quilts.

Last week I found a different way to join the ends of the binding on quilts.  I tried it first on my mug rug on Saturday.  It worked GREAT!  Now I don't have to remember what size I cut my binding.  This is the easiest way to join the ends.  I'll be using this method from now on.


14 comments:

  1. Your students did a lovely job on their mug rugs! It was SEW kind of you to make up kits for them. Happy Birthday to Marilyn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a class coming up on a few weeks and should start prepping soon. Mug rugs make a nice useful item and can be done, even by hand, in a reasonable amount of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun to have a guild meeting that was a SchoolHouse. We all probably know one method to make a block, but knowing several ways can be really helpful.

    The Churn Dash baby quilt is great. I love the idea of hand quilting in those blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you go girl...you've been working hard! Great finishes and I love the heart runner and the backing is awesome on that one as well!! I love the kits for the mug rugs for your Church too! Great fun. A lot of work to put together, but great that the patterns are there! That helps for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your mug rug kits and finishes. That is a great tip for binding. Maybe I will finally be able to get it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Churn Dash baby quilts. I will use these as a guide to making a baby quilt for a co-worker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn, you are a no-reply commentor and are only Google+. I love Churn Dash quilts for babys and teens. Super easy and fun to make. Have fun making the baby quilt for your co-worker.

      Delete
  7. Wow, busy lady. Love the churn dash quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you made up kits! What a fun way to get more interested in quilting.
    (sorry messed up my first comment!) . This is the method I use for my binding and love it--her trick to make the "A" is really helpful for getting it joined correctly every time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much to love. Especially love Marilyn's dish of ice cream! No calories, no carbs!
    Sweet mug rugs. What size do they finish? I always make mine too small.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. The hearts are so sweet. You may be behind on baby quilts but you are a whole month ahead on Valentine's Day :-) The churn dash makes a fun and bright pattern. Love the backing fabric - so adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you are off to a great start for 2019! Thanks for the link to the binding tutorial. That's the technique I always use, but this way makes it way more intuitive!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd much rather have a sink full of fabric ice cream than a sink full of the real thing. One scoop of vanilla is all I need.

    I love that heart table runner. It's very cute and done before Valentine's day! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).