Sunday, February 17, 2019

Harry Potter: Project of Doom embroidery (so far)

I was asked to show my Harry Potter: Project of Doom blocks (so far).  I started making these blocks back in 2013 and got the first 12 blocks made.  I also started embroidering the titles on the books in 2013.  Bad me, I stopped making the blocks the week before my oldest son graduated college, and I stopped working on the embroidery that September.

I do think I know why I stopped working on the embroidery.  One of the titles 'disappeared' while I was doing the embroidery on it.  I'd stitched 2 words, then the rest of the letters I was stitching over just vanished.  I couldn't figure out what to do, and just dropped the project. 

Saturday I pulled all the blocks out and took photos of them.  I prepped the last few blocks for embroidery, and I took the stitches out of that one block where the lettering disappeared.  I started over with a wash away product.  It is now waiting it's turn to be stitched.

Here are the blocks I have completed so far.  I've made 2 of each block, but some of them still haven't been embroidered.

Week #1, one block done
Week #1, The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1-6) by Miranda Goshawk, Sonnets of a Sorcerer, Unfogging the Future by Casandra Vablatsky

The 2nd block of Week #1 is the block that I took the stitching out and started over with wash away (purple book with lavender thread).

Week #3 (I'm currently working on the 2nd of these blocks)

Week #3, An Anthology of Eighteenth Century Charms, Flesh-Eating Trees of the World by Hugh G. Forrest, Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander

The Week #3 block was my slow stitching today.  I'm almost done with it.

Week#4, one block finished

Week #4, Nature's Nobility: A Wizarding Geneology, Numerology & Gramatica
 
Week #5
Week #5, Intermediate Transfiguration, Magical Drafts & Potions by Arsenius Jigger, Twelve Fail-Safe Ways to Charm Witches, Madcap Magic for Wacky Warlocks
both of Week #5 blocks finished


Week #6
Week #6, Asiatic Anti-venoms, Achievements in Charming, Saucy Tricks for Tricky Sorts
both of Week #6 are finished


Week #7, one block finished

Week #7, Spiders & Their Habits, Magical Water Plants of the Mediterranean
Week #8


Week #8, The Healer's Helpmate, Sites of Historical Sorcery, A History of Magic by Balthilda Bagshot, Jinxes for the Jinxed


Week #8, both blocks finished


Week #9

Week #9, both blocks finished
Week #10

Week #10, both blocks finished
Week #11


 Week #11, Handbook of Do-It-Yourself Broom Care
Week #11, both blocks finished


Week #12

Week #12, Prefects Who Gained Power, Magical Floral & Fauna, The Boy Who Lived (Twice): The Real Story by Rita Skeeter, Predicting the Unpredictable


Week #12, both blocks finished
Week #12, Prefects Who Gained Power, Magical Floral & Fauna, The Boy Who Lived (Twice): The Real Story by Rita Skeeter, Predicting the Unpredictable

The next block to be made is the Monster book of Monsters.  I wasn't looking forward to making that block, since I was thinking it probably needed to be done in faux fur.  Well, I've been re-reading the series, and discovered that the Monster book of Monsters has a green leather cover.  On Friday, I finally found a fabric that looks like green leather.  Now to get back to making blocks for this quilt.

6 comments:

  1. This is so awesome! A lot of work not only in the stitching, but the paper piecing as well. Love the book with the eye ball fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great progress. Of course I really like that owl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those books are really amazing, and your embroidery looks so good. We saw the Fantastic Beasts movie a few months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree I think that those are fantastic blocks, and your embroidery is gorgeous. Great job picking up the project and going with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harry Potter is just wonderful, and so are your blocks! Go, girl, go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your embroidery is so neat, and tiny to fit on those book backs. Love the prints you chose. The two quilts will be keepers.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).