Saturday, May 11, 2019

A Finish and a Ton of Scraps!

I've not had much time for sewing this month.  I've been going thru stuff, trying to figure out what to keep and what to get rid of.  I came across a project that I found on the freebie table at my large quilt guild earlier this year.  It is a purse.  Whoever  gave it up, had already cut out all the pieces except the pockets of the purse, and even had the fusible interfacing in the kit.  All I had to supply was the fusible fleece.  Easy for me, and as a bonus, I used scraps of fusible fleece.

Since I'd finally cleaned off the area where a 2nd sewing machine would fit in my sewing desk, I set up Betty Sue, my purple Featherweight, and started stitching.  This was the first time I've made pleats since Home Ec. in 9th grade.  The pattern made it super easy.
Betty Sue, the purple Featherweight
The pattern is the Carrie Bag. It went together easily.  I may make this one again.  I did add a snap to the top of the bag, that wasn't in the pattern.  Here is the finished bag. 
Carrie Bag
My mother needs a tote bag to carry her stuff when she works (volunteer's) in the ICU waiting room.  This will work great for her. 

Years ago I was given 2 large boxes of scraps.  The were put in the basement and forgotten.  I brought them upstairs and sorted them out.  These boxes were PACKED (compressed).  I've spent time each evening, while we watched TV, and finally finished sorting them last night.
just some of the scraps, sorted into colors

I put each color into gallon ziplocks (some colors have 2 bags of scraps).  The ziplocks full of scraps are now in a large plastic bin.
large plastic bin full of sorted scraps

These will be great for Kevin's classes on Friday and Saturday, at both my quilt guilds.  Yes, I'll be sharing, since there is no way I can use all of these scraps. 

Going thru some of the fabrics in the basement, I pulled out 3 large trash bags of kids prints in flannels and cottons for my little quilt guild.  The ladies are planning on making lots of baby and kids quilts for different groups.  Marilyn picked up the bags, and I can't wait to see what everyone makes with all the fabrics.  I've been collecting these for years, since this guild used to make preemie quilts for a local hospital.  I'm glad they will be used now (and out of my house). 

I have lots more to do. 

14 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about all my stash recently... I'll never live long enough to use it all up, and yet I'm making lots of things with scraps... WHY? I'm also saving snippets - tiny pieces that would probably never be used in a quilt. WHY? Guess I have some spring cleaning I could do, too. Good luck with yours.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute purse! I love using my stash and clearing out fabric. It makes room for more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am doing the same thing, and asking, as you..."why!" LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I have been sorting scraps in my garage that I placed in there to sort in September. It was too hot then, then October till now very cold. My husband wants to put his car back in. I cut strips, Accuquilt cut squares, sorted and threw away and I am so weary and still not done. People give me bags of good scraps and I got overloaded. Trying to figure out how to organize it a problem and file it into what I have. Love the purple Featherweight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job sorting all those scraps. Even better that you actually gave some away!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you in getting organized as well as doing some clearing/sharing. I have three large tubs that I am taking to our next guild meeting for a Summer Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am envious getting organized. But I am getting the guild stuff cleaned up and used if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been going through tons of "gifted" fabrics, Some are un-used and some have odd shapes cut out here and there. All need ironing and folding and sorting. I am also thinking of using lots of them in a quilting basics workshop at the church or women's conference. There is way too much for me ever to use, even if I manage to live to 200.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in the mood to do some sorting... whole house... too. But there isn't enough time!!! I'd give up sleep, but that would cause a domino effect I'm not sure I could live with!!! Good job on parting with fabric. Bet is was an easy decision, after sorting the boxes of scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so well organises; I should take a leaf out of your book ;)! Enjoy the classes with Kevin and I'm looking forward to seeing what you've learned. And what a lovely bag all for free! Your mum will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job on the sorting... I need to do some of that myself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look how organized you are getting!! And the finish!! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).