Thursday, August 8, 2019

Final 2 Hobbit/LOTR blocks done

I've finished the last two Hobbit/LOTR blocks for the baby quilt(s).  The color in the photos doesn't show up well.
Legolas' bow

both of Legolas' bows
Grey Havens

both Grey Havens

Grey Havens is the ship that Bilbo, Frodo and the elves sail away on at the end of Lord of the Rings. 

I've decided on how to 'frame' the blocks and now I'm trying to figure out the setting.  I have 2 different settings below.  I'm trying to put the blocks 'in order' from The Hobbit thru Lord of the Rings.
Setting #1

Setting #2

I'm leaning towards setting #2.  Any suggestions???

On Monday night I taught faux piping binding to my little quilt guild.  I've taught this before (several years ago) but we have several new members that wanted me to teach it again.  Well, I realized on Sunday afternoon that I don't have anything that I've used faux piping binding on.  It's all be given away.  Oops!  Well, back in January I taught a class at church on mug rugs.  I still had some of the mug rug kits leftover, and 3 of them had faux piping binding in the kits.  I'd stitched up the mug rugs a few months ago, but hadn't put the binding on yet.  I quickly added the binding on all three mug rugs.
2 mug rugs with faux piping binding

My Oops! turned into 3 more finishes. 

Now to start cutting the sashing for the Hobbit/LOTR blocks.  My new grandson is due TODAY, so I'm behind.  Oh well, we expect him to be late, too. 

8 comments:

  1. I like setting 2 and you better get sewing ;) - that baby will be here soon! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter how you put the blocks together, they look stunning! Well done. And I too like a faux piped binding. I should really make it more often, as it gives a quilt such a nice finish. I'm sure your little guild members enjoyed learning it from you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. either way is great make one each way since there are two quilts. your mug rugs are great too nice to have a surprise finish. I just finished 8 of the crumb stars from Kevin's class I think I am done and they will be a table runner. I was watching grandsons last week from Thursday until Monday so took them to work on no much thinking to them.
    going to sandwich my string star project and take it to retreat to quilt it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These will be such cute quilts!! I like the second layout better, too. No matter what, it is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes... the reasons for things ... (like UFO's) are kept from us until the item is needed. No help here for the setting of the blocks!!! They both look fine to me, and I never read the books (although I tried several times) I can't help with the order.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how all the Hobbit/LOTR blocks turned out! Setting #2 looks a little more balanced in terms of light and dark backgrounds. The quilts will be amazing, regardless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great job you've done on the Hobbit/LOTR blocks!! Clever making the mug rugs for your sample pieces! Have you done a tutorial on your blog on it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the first one as the colors seem more balanced, but might suggest switching two in the bottom row. You have two dark blocks side by side, I think putting the orange one between would help the color balance. Awesome quilt by the way! Nice details. I've not read or watched...but I know those books/movies were quite popular.
    Traveling Suitcase

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).