Friday, April 11, 2014

I'm blaming this one on hubby!

I went to a thrift store yesterday (like that's a surprise) and saw a machine.  I was a GOOD GIRL, I resisted buying the machine!!!! (even though it intrigued me).

Well, this morning hubby asked me to look for him a pair of painters coveralls or a jumpsuit for a costume he needs.  Where else am I supposed to look for something like that?  I did warn him before I left that if the machine was still at the thrift store, it was coming home with me.  Guess what?

Sewmore Model 404
This is a series 66 style Japanese made machine.  I'd never seen a series 66 style Japanese machine before.  All the Japanese machines I've ever come across have been series 15 style machines.  See, you learn new things every day!


bed of machine BEFORE cleaning

Serial # B5331575
Most of the Japanese machines that I've seen in the past have serial numbers stamped on the underside of the machine, and usually start with 'JA' or 'HA'.  Not this machine.  This is the only number on the machine.

This machine was filthy dirty!
see all that grime on the back of the machine?
The cabinet is in pretty poor shape, too.  It has a knee control attached to the cabinet, and all the wiring is connected inside the cabinet. 


dusty wiring inside the cabinet

plug inside the cabinet (after I unplugged the light and motor)
The cabinet is broken near the knee control.  I'm guessing that it wasn't built to take the pressure of a knee control. 
broken wood from the inside of the cabinet, near the knee control

broken part of the cabinet from the outside
Hopefully hubby can help me figure out a good fix for this.  It shifts every time I try to use the knee control.  Really hard to sew that way (holding onto the side of the cabinet).

The plug for this cabinet is missing.  There is a place to plug it in on the back of the cabinet, but, the cord isn't there.

where the cord should attach

my temporary fix
Because the hole is small, and the plug isn't flush with the wood, but is recessed instead, it limits what kind of extension cord I can use.  I had to slightly enlarge the round hole so that this cord would fit. 

66 style bobbin area
 The bobbin case was STUCK!  My son and I worked hard at getting it out.  I've never had a hard time removing a bobbin case before.  This is the same style bobbin case as in my Spartan, Tinkerbell (my 99), Betty (my 1941, 66) and several other 66's (remember, we don't count how many machines I have, or I can't keep on collecting machines/ per hubby). 

all the dirt after the light and motor were removed (BEFORE cleaning)

cracked bobbin tire and motor belt (borrowing a belt from another machine for now)

dust and lint under the machine
I didn't take any pictures while I was cleaning, but, here is my kitchen cabinet after I was done. 
just some of the mess from cleaning the machine
Here is the Sewmore AFTER cleaning.
stitching

nice stitches

after cleaning

front of cabinet, missing hardware

light works fine
I need to figure out how to clean the knee control.  It is still stiff.  I'd like to keep the motor on this machine.  I may have to order a different controller to go with this machine.  I've never used a knee controller before.  With the condition of this cabinet, I thing I may need to ditch the knee control and even the cabinet, and get hubby to build me a base for this.  I'm just scared to work on wiring.  I've never rewired a machine before. 

Hey!  I won something!  Sharon Vrooman tested a pattern for BeaquilterBeaquilter was giving away 3 copies of the pattern, and, I WON a copy!  Thanks Sharon (for letting me know about the giveaway) and Thanks Bea!

pdf copy of pattern I won

Bea asked everyone what 3 colors they would like to use with her pattern.  Since I chose Red, White and Blue (Quilts of Valor colors, of course), she showed what the pattern would look like in those colors
'Boxes!' in Red, White & Blue
This will make a great Quilts of Valor quilt, don't you think? 


13 comments:

  1. What a pretty machine - I would be afraid of wiring too. I saw you won over at Bea's - congratulations and yes, this is a perfect pattern for QOV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The machine looks beautiful after all that cleaning! I too am afraid of dealing with wiring, I hope you can switch the knee control out with a pedal without too much difficulty! I am still insanely jealous that you spot so many machines while thrifting. I thrift once a week and lately there have been zero machines in our area. Hopefully some get donated around here at some pount! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen a machine like that in Japan. Looks like it was made for export. I remember when the knee control was a new thing.
    I am wondering if you found the costume for hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha.... husbands are good for many things, especially blaming them for our "sins" ;)! I couldn't have passed something like that either. Have fun with your new baby. She looks so much better after a good clean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sewmor sure is pretty! Good job cleaning it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks lovely now!

    I've just bought my first vintage machine and I blame all you lovely bloggy ladies that already collect machines for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great find. My mom's machine has always had a knee pedal and she loves it. I am sure you could get used to it if you can get it stabilized. You might be able to find a fix it guy that would rewire to a floor pedal. I would be afraid to rewire it, since you could burn up the motor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any time you can rescue a sewing machine and a cabinet!!! Well Done!
    I think I can hear her say "Thanks" and Ahhhhhh. She looks lovely. Hope you can save the cabinet.
    I love sewing with the knee pad. You only get that when you have a cabinet. My machine will work on a table, but then the foot pedal has such a small working button to step on, it's really awkward. Also, on a table the work is more difficult because of the bump up to put the fabric through the machine. In a cabinet there is less of a bump, and the fabric can lay flatter. I don't know if that makes me a better quilter, just more comfortable.

    Congrats on your winnings. It's a cute pattern and looks great in R, W & B.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do such a beautiful job restoring those beautiful, old machines. I am so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You really make those old machines shine! Good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She's a real beauty! Thanks for stopping buy my blog to read about my experiences with dating sewing machines, hope it helped. I LOVE your blog, I haven't tried hand quilting yet but it is on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Were you able to find out why it started with B instead of the standard JA or HA on the serial number?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no clue why it has a 'B' instead of the usual JA or HA. Too bad Singer was the only company to keep good records on what they made and when.

      I hope you see this, as you are a 'no-reply' blogger.

      Delete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).