Wednesday, January 10, 2018

It's Quilted (and a question for you)

The Riley Blake 'Neverland' baby quilt is quilted.
That is blue Minkee, from my stash, on the back. 

Now, I have a question for you.  I have 2 choices for binding. 
#1.  Big piece of material with a kinda stripe to it.
#2.  Same greenish fabric that surrounds the flying geese.
binding choices on quilt
Let me know which one you like best, please.  I want to stitch the binding on at Saturday's sew-in.

On Monday afternoon, after I finished this quilt top, I decided to trim some burp rags that I'd purchased.  The first one, I tried adding the trim (extra strips of the Neverland jelly roll) to both sides of the burp rag.  This didn't work very well.  I thought it was all lined up nicely, but, it wasn't.  Oh well, the baby won't notice.
double sided burp rag
After that, I decided to just add trim to one side of the burp rags.  I like this better.  Yes, the bottom one is pieced with 2 different colors.  No waste here.
5 more burp rags
If I get around to it, I might try embroidering Gwendolyn's name on some of these, with my Janome.  The Janome has lots of fun stitches, and a small font for Embroidery (nothing fancy). 

My Christmas trip to Texas was super busy.  I didn't get to any thrift or antique stores, like I normally do.  I DID get to see a special blogging friend.  Sue, from Collecting Texas Gal, has a fiber arts shop at the Chicken Farm Arts Center in my hometown. The Chicken Farm Arts Center was having a special night for Christmas celebrating while I was there.  I only got to go for a few minutes, but, that was enough to finally get to see Sue's shop.  I got 'Betty Sue' the purple featherweight, from Sue.
Sue's shop


me & Sue
 This visit was the only shopping I got to do (besides IKEA with my son and daughter in law) on the trip. 

Let me know what binding choice you prefer.  Thanks!



24 comments:

  1. How fun to see pictures of my shop and the two of us at The Chicken Farm Art Center. Thanks for posting them. What a cute quilt and burp rags, too. I like the stripe fabric for a contrast from the background. Which ever you choose will be perfect...Grandmother to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl, you've been so busy! This little grand baby will have so many treasures to start her life with. Your Texas trip looks like fun, especially when you can meet up with a friend! I know I'm not making this easy, but I prefer the #2 binding. I think it would reflect back on the flying geese background. It will look great with either choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Instead of putting the binding options in the middle of the quilt, it might be easier to visualize if you place on fabric on each side and have it extend just a bit from the underside of the quilt. That's a really pretty quilt and I'll be interested to see which option you choose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm, I would like something darker, to set off the lighter colors and go with the dark geese.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer darker binding so I'll go with #1 but I agree that something even darker to go with the geese would be best. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of using the background fabric from the geese. I think it will add a decided frame and tie it all together beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow cute quilt. I like the stripes. Great burp clothes too. That is going to be one stylin baby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the design of your baby quilt and the burp cloths are really cute, too. I like the binding fabric that is also around the geese.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute and fast baby quilt, I prefer the darker striped fabric I think, espnirh that darker blue minkes backing. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute quilt and matching burp cloths. I think for me I would use the fabric that the geese are made from. I usually prefer a darker binding most times, but would audition them on the edge of quilt and look at it from a few feet or my peep hole viewer. Whatever you choose will be fine with the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My 1st choice would be a dark - as in the geese-but not what the geese are since it reads as a "print" on my screen, but I would use something that is the darkest part of that fabric. 2nd choice would be to use the "sky" of the geese. I usually prefer dark bindings so the finished quilt looks "framed". In the end, it's your quilt, so do what you are happiest about :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waaa! You are no reply, and I can't reply to you! PLEASE send me your email address. You are Google+, and don't have any info on your page (and I am NOT Google+ because of the noreply problems it causes)

      Delete
  12. So cute....love the geese. I would go with the darker tone stripe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a fun fast finish-I think I like the darker with the stripe, but I don't think you can go wrong with either.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My gosh, you are on a roll. Your baby quilt is already finished! Well done. I too like the stipe fabric for the binding. I just love a stripy binding and sometimes I cut it on the bias for a little difference. But whatever you'll end up doing, it will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Darker w/the stripe! Can't wait to see it in person next wk!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great design for a baby quilt! Either binding will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would use the same fabric that surrounds the geese, but it doesn't look greenish on my screen as you described it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the darker stripe fabric to frame it off. Either will be fine! Nice finish!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the color that surrounds the geese. In painting class they taught us to include the same color several times in a painting... so no one stands out.
    Love the strip of geese.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh that is a difficult decision - I think I like the darker one so that all the teals will pop

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like choice number one...love the quilt

    ReplyDelete
  22. great quilt! Probably too late to weigh in with my opinion on the binding, but I like the darker one best, but the other one would do in a pinch too :-).

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm trying this again. Google, I want my comments back in my inbox!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).