Thursday, July 19, 2018

One More Project Done!

The other grandmother bought a used high chair.  The cover for the high chair was in bad shape, and you can't wash them.  Not good. 

We brought back the yucky high chair cover from Alaska, after the baby was born.  With my crazy year, I haven't had a chance to get this made.  Here is the old, yucky high chair cover.
yucky, sticky old high chair cover

The baby is almost ready for her high chair, and, with all of them coming back thru next week, it was time to get a new high chair cover made.

My daughter in law likes the Pioneer Woman fabrics and patterns, and her kitchen walls are aqua (goes well with Pioneer Woman stuff).  Since my favorite color is RED, and red goes well with Pioneer Woman, I shopped my stash, and found a fun red print with white flowers. 
finished high chair cover

I traced the outline of the old cover onto fusible fleece.  I ironed the fusible fleece onto this fabric, and quilted it.  After it was quilted, I realized that it really needed to be thicker/heavier, so, I cut out another layer of fusible fleece, and added it to the already quilted fabric, and cut out the pieces. 

To make the cover look 'finished' I added a backing to each of my pieces, leaving an opening and turning them.  It was getting pretty thick at this point, but, my Janome handled it well, with the walking foot.

side view of high chair cover

I haven't used the zig zag feature on my Janome in several years.  Most of my vintage machines are straight stitch only.  I had to test the stitching (length & width) so that I could make openings for the chair straps.  A button hole probably would have been better, but, since I haven't used the button hole accessory but maybe one time, I didn't want to waste that much time trying to figure it out (and they would have been really long button holes, too).  I think my zig zag holes will work well. 

top part that goes over the top of the high chair

Unlike the cover that came with the high chair, this one is washable.  We'll treat it with waterproofing spray next week, then this will be finished.  I'd thought about using vinyl, but, I've never used it before, and, I wouldn't have been able to iron the fleece to it.  This way, I didn't have to go shopping for anything, either. 

My Janome will get packed away now (gotta have the dining room table for the 10 people that will be here for a week).   I still have one project to finish before I pack up my sewing room, and turn it back into a nursery.  I need to make the exchange blocks for the Michigan TOGA this weekend.  Those have to be made on a 'people powered' sewing machine (treadle or hand crank).  My hand crank is NEVER put away, so, these will go quickly. 

Hope you are going to have a fun weekend, too!  

6 comments:

  1. Way to go on the seat cover! Looking good and it's washable!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a fabulous job with the cover, very professional looking. Have a fun weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! You are going to be busy, so enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How adorable!! That red is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very nice cover, and it's good that it can be washed. Everything has to be clean for baby. I'm sure your daughter-in-law will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clever you! Enjoy the second visit!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply or Google+ commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).