Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Quilt Guild and a FINISH!

Monday night was my little quilt guild's meeting.  Because we are so small, we seldom have paid speakers.  Last night was an exception.

Linda Brodine, author and quilter, came and spoke about her book and the quilts that she has made to go with her book.  Linda wrote 'Grandma, Please Tell Me A Story!'
Linda Brodine

Linda's first book
Linda's second book will be out this summer.  She is now starting work on her third book.  This is a picture of her quilts.  Sorry I didn't get pictures of all her quilts, but, I was the quilt holder.  Hard to hold a quilt and take a picture at the same time. 
Some of Linda's 'story quilts' to go with her book
Here are some of the ladies in Wego Quiltin' quilt guild. 

Wego Quiltin' quilt guild
Two of the ladies brought items for veterans.  Jeanette brought 10 blocks for Kevin the Quilter's Quilts of Valor block drive.
Jeanette's 10 blocks
I just checked Kevin's blog, and WOOHOO!!!!!  He has enough blocks for 78 quilts so far.  Can he get to over 100 quilts????  Blocks need to be IN HIS HANDS by 6/1/14.  Have you made any yet?

Phyllis made 3 lap quilts for the Veteran's hospitals in Illinois.
Veteran's lap quilt made by Phyllis

Veteran's lap quilt made by Phyllis

Veteran's lap quilt made by Phyllis
This is just the most generous quilt guild.  These ladies are GREAT! 

I finished the binding for the baby quilt for my Aunt just minutes before I needed to leave for the guild meeting.  Today, I washed all the blue chalk marks out of it.  Other than it still needs a label, it's DONE!!!  Woohoo!!!
finished baby quilt
I stitched the binding on both sides with a machine,  I usually hand stitch the back down by hand, but, that is too hard to do on Minkee.  I did cheat and use my Janome for the binding.  Too much stopping and starting with binding to try it on the treadle.  When I went to  thread the Janome, I realized that it hadn't been used since early last December.  Poor, neglected Janome.  Here is a picture of the mitered and machine stitched binding.
machine stitched binding
Now to get some other projects done.  Have a great week!

6 comments:

  1. Your finished quilt looks GREAT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The baby quilt looks beautiful! I love the way it turned out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a treat to have the author and her quilts. I'll have to look for that book. Yes, I agree your group may be small but they are a generous bunch. And the baby quilt is a winner too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your machine binding looks very nice! Mine is hit or miss, but it getting better the more I practice it. Please let me know if you have any machine binding tips. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the quilts... thanks for showing your pictures. You belong to such a nice guild, but I'm not surprised.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like such a nice group you belong to, and it looks like you had a lot of nice quilts to look at! Thanks for another shout out Cheryl! Can't wait to receive Jeanette's blocks!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).