Friday, October 20, 2017

Barn Quilt Class

Suzi Parron came to my large quilt guild last night, and talked about the Barn Quilt books that she has written.  Today was the Barn Quilt class.

We met in Terri's garage.  It was a lovely day, with a light breeze and the temps reached mid 70's.
one side of the garage

the other side of the garage

 We were provided with a 2 foot square plywood piece, that had been painted with primer.  We got to choose a pattern, or, bring a pattern.  Suzi showed us how to prep our piece, and get started.  This is the pattern that I chose.
 

We drew our pattern lines, then started prepping for painting.
ready to paint the first color


We painted the first color, then dried it with a hair dryer.  The red took 3 coats of paint to cover it nicely.
red parts painted



Next was the white paint.  Here is is, after the white has been painted and the tape has been removed.
one color left to paint


All that is left is the blue, with the star.  I'd already painted the white for the star.
just need to remove the green tape

Here are the other ladies, working on their Barn Quilts. 








Here is my finished Barn Quilt. 
2 foot square barn quilt

 Talk about a great place to take a photo...with Terri's 1930's car.

What a fun day!!!!  Suzi is already booked for more quilt guilds in this area, in 2018 and 2019. 


14 comments:

  1. Suzi has been out our way twice - with each book (we are in the second one). The block painting class is taught around here by the local barn trail committee folks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your barn quilt. There seem to be a lot of barn quilt parties in our area but I don't think Suzy's been out our way. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always get inspired when I see new barn quilts. I love what you selected.....great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, what fun you all must have had. I love your block!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! Absolutely love the pattern you chose for your barn quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I painted a quilt directly onto our block bricks at our river cottage on the Illinois River. My husband helped me and it turned out great. Your barn quilt is beautiful and I bet you all had such fun making them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a no-reply commentor :( I'd love to see a picture of your quilt block, painted that way. I bet it's great.

      Delete
  7. Hope some kind of sealer is put over the paint. Yours came out terrific. I hope the weather is kind to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the pattern you chose for your barn quilt. Suzi has been to our guild in the past and had workshops. In fact we had them displayed at our big quilt show in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Barn Quilt is amazing. That looks like a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the block you made for your barn quilt. I want to make one, keep thinking about what pattern I want to do. Suzy has been to our guild at least once that I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a neat project and I love your patriotic 'quilt' block. Happy news about a new baby girl in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun! We have the perfect spot so I’ve been really wanting to make one for it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).