Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Debbie's Machine, and a Gift

I offered to clean up Debbie's grandmother's Singer 20 toy machine.  These were one of the few toy sewing machines that actually worked well.  I know of one woman who takes her Singer 20 on trips, and sews with it on the airplane.  She just clamps the machine to the tray table.  The Singer 20 is a chain stitch sewing machine.

Here are some pictures of Debbie's machine before I started cleaning it.
Debbie's Singer 20




This machine did have some rust on it, but, overall, it was in pretty good shape.  I took my rust eraser and some steel wool after the rusty parts. 

Here is what the rust eraser can do to the chrome plate.
half cleaned

fully cleaned


Here is the cleaned up machine, with the before and after photos.
before, see the rust on the gear towards the bottom?

rust cleaned off the bottom gear (and other places)

rust on the hand wheel

most of the rust cleaned off the hand wheel

before cleaning


after cleaning

Not all machines can be cleaned up this well.  I hope Debbie is pleased with this.  She will still need to find a handle for the hand wheel (missing when I got the machine).


A friend gave me a toy machine yesterday.  I decided to clean it up after I finished Debbie's machine.  This machine was in much worse shape than Debbie's, so, it didn't clean up nearly as well.  Too much of the chrome was already gone.  Still, I think it is an improvement.  It's such a cute little machine. 
my new toy machine, before any cleaning





 I haven't had time to look this machine up, so, sorry, no info on it yet.  Aren't the decals great?!?!

Here are some before and after photos.
before cleaning
after cleaning
before
after
I had to almost completely disassemble this machine to clean the parts.  It still needs more cleaning, but, this is all it will get for a while.
before

before

after cleaning

back, after cleaning


I just love those decals.  Such a cute little machine.  Thanks Carrie!



15 comments:

  1. Both machines look much happier now that they are cleaner. Do they still work? I'm amazed at the decals and design of that second "toy". Just goes to show how old things are better than the new.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree both machines look amazing, and the decals are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend has one that looks like the 20. I can not remember what number it is. the bar that connects the wheel to the needle bar cane loose. She took it to our local Featherweight repairman and he snapped it back on and did not charge her. She is the original owner of the machine!

    What do you use for your Rust Eraser? I could use someon an older machine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I think they both look great after your loving care. I just found my old toy Singer from the 60's in my mom's attic a few weeks ago. It still works, although the thread that was in it is no good...go figure! The only problem is they don't make the shorter machine needles for it anymore. Do you have a source for those?

    ReplyDelete
  5. These old machines were such beauties. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheryl, much can be found on ebay for the Singer 20 Sewhandy models. Here is the handcrank knob: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-20-toy-child-Sewhandy-sewing-machine-BLACK-KNOB-SHOULDER-SCREW/152748752244?epid=1932199456&hash=item239088fd74:g:8UYAAOSwlndZCNtk

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was young, it seemed newer was better but these days the new ones can't beat those vintage machines for charm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a difference you made in their life!!!! Reclaimed, and re-beautified. If she has trouble finding a knob for the crank, have her find a wood turner who can make one for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These machines were both included in my Vintage Mini Sewing Machine BOM, stitched quite a while back. Good to see them in the "flesh."

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm impressed with how these machines cleaned up so beautifully. I'd like to know about your rust eraser too. I have a machine that could use a good cleaning, but I've been afraid to tackle this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a no-reply blogger. If you will contact me, and leave your email address, I have info for you on the rust erasers.

      Delete
  11. Wow -- you did a great job on both of these sweet little machines, Cheryl!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did an amazing job on cleaning those cute machines. The decals are great on the last one. I too would like to know what you use as a rust eraser. I've done some cleaning on the Featherweights, but probably could use a better and more proper cleaner to do the job right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you were able to clean up those machines! The decals remind me of folk art paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did an awesome job cleaning these machines! You're so lucky to be given that toy machine. What exactly is a rust eraser and is it safe to use over the decals?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).