Thursday, January 18, 2018

Stitching, stitching, stitching.....

I've been busy, really! 

My large quilt guild is having a quilt show March 10-11, 2018.  If you are near the Western suburbs of Chicago that weekend, I'd love to see you at the quilt show.  I'll have a booth (again) showing off some of my vintage sewing machines.  This will be the 4th time I've had a booth at this quilt show. 

Tonight is when we have to turn in all the paperwork for the quilt show.  Boy does that take a long time to get ready.  I'm entering 3 quilts and 2 bags.  I also promised to make 2 Project Bags for the Silent Auction.  I finished them up earlier today.  Yes, they are all sewing themed fabrics. 

As usual, I made 2 of each fabric.  One of each will go to the guild, and I'll keep the other one for me.  I changed up how I did the zipper pulls this time.  I used cording, and added a shank button to each. 
zipper pulls for Project Bags

I finally pulled out my elephant quilt.  I hadn't worked on this since last Spring.  It is my entry in the Challenge for the quilt show.  Time to get this one finished.  I had to take a picture of it for the paperwork.  It doesn't have to be finished until the night before the quilt show. 

There isn't much left to do on the elephant quilt, thank goodness.  I needed to make a backing for it.  I had already planned to use the extra strips of fabric from making the front of the quilt.  The backing is enveloped.  I knew I'd have a hard time trying to add binding to this, so envelope method was my only option.
right sides together, ready to stitch on the backing
The tape measure is to make sure that the quilt measures correctly for the challenge rules.  The finished quilt cannot measure more than 45" in any direction, or less than 25".   Mine measures 31" tall, and 43" wide (without the tail). 

Due to the size of this and the tiny harp space on my Featherweight, I had to stitch the backing on with my Janome.  It was hard, since I had to follow each leg, inside and out. 
lots of quilt jammed in the harp area
I didn't want to trim anything until AFTER it was stitched down, which was a good thing, since I forgot to pin one side of 2 different legs.  I also realized (too late) that I forgot to thread paint the tree down.  Oh well.  I don't know how to thread paint anyways, so, it probably wouldn't have turned out very well.  Here is what the elephant looks like at the moment.

still unfinished

with paint chips on the matching fabrics

We have to match our paint chips.  The gray looks a little darker, since the Texture Magic was shrunk.  It added 'shadows'.  I can't help that.  I think the other 2 colors are a good match.

I still need to stitch on the tail, and add some buttons to the tree.  I also need to add something to the faces of the elephants, before I stitch the backing closed.  That all will get done in the next 2 weeks. 

I've also been working on 2 different baby play mats.  They are slow going.  Hopefully both of them will be finished in the next week or so, too.  The hard parts are all done now.  I've stitched on these at 2 different sew-in's this past week.  Here are pictures of what the bottom of each play mat will look like.
Pirate (Peter Pan) play mat

car play mat
 I just have to baste and quilt the bottom pieces, and add the last of the connecting hardware.  That is the easy part (I hope).  The pole covers were slow going (hard to turn inside out, since they are so narrow).

Oh yes, I am almost finished stitching the binding down on the Neverland quilt.  Hopefully it will be done later today.

I hope that you are also having a good stitching week.  

15 comments:

  1. I do love your elephant quilt. I look forward to seeing it finished. You are really keeping busy! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. So busy you are! Love the bags..you know that already. What a great quilt your elephant is...so precise. Good work...it will do well in the show! The Play Mats are too cute. Yes, I've had a good week stitching, too. As you saw in my last post with vintage fabrics. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could come to the show and see your quilts and machines. Those bags are really nice and the zipper pulls, too. How do you do that envelope backing? Do you quilt the quilt first? Maybe you could write a post on how to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the elephant...your colors look really good to me! Your bags get better and better with each version and variation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing like a deadline to make us get busy and finish, right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of great projects. March, are you going to do a reminder post? By then I may need to escape the house. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always get so much done! Your elephant quilt is a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Elephant quilt is fantastic!! And I like the way you are using shank buttons for zipper pulls. I finally found a copy of your project bag pattern and was able to purchase it with a coupon. Now to make it up and try your zipper pulls with a few of those shank buttons in my huge collection of odd buttons. Thanks for sharing your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you certainly have been busy. Love your bags.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the elephant!

    I need to learn to make project bags. I love yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I tried to do that many projects at once, none of them would ever get finished. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your project bags are great. I need to make some for me too. Really love what you did with the elephant quilt. That is very creative and just beautiful. You should win a ribbon for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of fun inspiration here Cheryl! Your elephant is going to be magnificent!!! And I’m going to have to make a few of those project bags - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love those project bags! And yes, I hate doing all the paper work for entering quilts into shows!! I'd rather sew LOL. That elephant quilt if ambitious for sure!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).