Sunday, June 17, 2018

Sewing Machine Mat tutorial

Sewing Machine Mat tutorial:
sewing machine mat with directional fabric

sewing machine mat with decorative trim on pocket
Finished size: 25" x 19"
*You can make this mat to fit your machine.  Adjust for the size of your machine.  I made this to fit the base of a vintage sewing machine (3/4 size vintage machine shown in pictures).

Fabrics Needed:
28" wide x 22" tall - front of mat
28" wide x 22" tall - back of mat
28" wide x 22" tall - batting
25" wide x 8.5" tall - pocket
3 strips of 2.5" x WOF (width of fabric) - binding

Mat base:
Cut front, back and batting.  If you are using directional fabric PAY ATTENTION to wide vs. tall.  Layer and baste front, batting and backing.
basted mat base using directional fabrics

Quilt as desired.  *I like to do a simple crosshatch pattern, about 2.5" wide.  I mark the back of the mat, and quilt.
crosshatch pattern for quilting

After the mat base is quilted, trim to 25" wide x 19" tall.

Pocket:
Fold pocket fabric in half to make it 25" wide x 4.25" tall.  Find the 'center' of the pocket and draw a chalk line from the fold to the bottom.  Then find the middle of each side of the pocket, and draw chalk lines.
center of pocket fabric, draw chalk line
showing 3 chalk lines on pocket

With folded edge of pocket at the top, place pocket fabric along the bottom edge of the quilted mat.  Pin and stitch approximately 1/8" inch around sides and bottom of pocket fabric.
stitch 1/8" from edge

Stitch from bottom of chalk mark on pocket, to the top, then back to the bottom of the pocket.  Do this on all three chalk mark lines on the pocket.
pockets stitched

*I decided to get more creative on one of the mats, since both the base of the mat and the pocket were black fabrics.  I wanted the pocket to be easily seen.  Instead of just folding the pocket fabric in half,  I cut a slightly larger piece (easier than doing the math) and added a 1" strip of the binding fabric in the middle.  I folded the pocket along the top edge of the strip of fabric and then stitched in the ditch along the bottom edge of the strip of fabric.
stitching in the ditch along pocket trim
I then trimmed the pocket to 4.25" from the fold.
4.25" from top of fold

Binding:
Sew the 3 strips of binding together.  Iron in half, then bind the mat. *I like to sew the binding to the front of the mat then hand stitch the binding to the back of the mat.

Enjoy your new Sewing Machine Mat.  Wouldn't a matching Pin Cushion Thread Catcher go great with your new Sewing Machine Mat?
Sewing Machine Mat with matching Pin Cushion Thread Catcher

Sewing Machine Mat with matching Pin Cushion Thread Catcher

I have a tutorial for a Pin Cushion Thread Catcher, too.

9 comments:

  1. Great job and tutorial is so clear. Love the black one:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great mat and tutorial! I love the machine that is sitting on it. I have nothing like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying this again. Hey Google, we want our comments back in our inbox!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute mat ... nice tutorial! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow those are cute. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for those instructions. I really like the contrasting binding. I wish I could be at the TOGA with you gals. I hope y'all will take plenty of pictures and share them with us! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute--I've always wanted to make one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tutorial. I'll be making one or two of these.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).