Sunday, September 13, 2015

Hexie Tape Measure

I found this great pattern on quiltingAbout.com, and decided I just had to make it.  I've gotten their newsletters in my inbox for years.  Here is what I made.  (Sorry for the bad pictures, but I took these before 6am, in a dark sewing room, while my brain was still asleep).

front of tape measure

back of tape measure
what she made, with mine next to the picture 
I decided that I'm going to demo this project at the Arkansas TOGA next month. 

I found that turning the tiny stitched hexies is not easy!  Next time, I'm going to try using some tweezers.
tiny stitched hexies with batting glued on
I also had to find a workaround for cutting the felt, since I don't own a working pair of pinking shears.  My cute craft scissors (for scrapbooking) wouldn't cut the felt.  I looked up on a fabric shelf and saw this...
Singer pinker hand crank
It worked great!  I'll be bringing this with me to the TOGA. 

*I found the tape measures for $1 at Hobby Lobby.  I used scrap fabric (it doesn't take much) and scrap batting.  I did have to buy some green felt.  I did buy the Gorilla Glue she mentioned (hubby didn't want to share his), but, I also have another project to use that glue with. 

13 comments:

  1. That looks like fun! I'll be sure to bring my pinking sheers. That was the first thing I bought when I started sewing because my grandmother always had a pair, so I thought that was what I would need too! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun idea! Where is the Arkansas TOGA? Maybe I could actually make it there?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in Mena, AR this weekend, Thurs-Sunday, Oct 1-4, 2015. For more info, please join the Arkansas Treadlers Yahoo group.

      Delete
  3. Great project! Nice gifty thing for any sewing friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute project and creative solutions for making it. You'll be a hit at the TOGA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful project! Everyone will love it! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - that's so fun and adorable!!! So glad you shared with us :*)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tell hubby he neesd to share the gorilla glue, it dries up in the container when you try to save it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! Everyone is going to want to try that hand crank ; )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, that is so adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, that is so adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a wonderful project, and I will surely enjoy doing this. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).