Wednesday, February 23, 2022

A BIG Finish!

I've been sewing TOBE (Treadle On Block Exchange) blocks into a king size quilt.  I'd designed a quilt top (previous post), but found out that I didn't need to add the Rail Fence blocks as borders.  This was a quick finish, since others had made the initial 4 patch and Half Square Triangle blocks for the many TOBE exchanges over the past 12 years.  

piecing the blocks on my 1927 Singer 15 hand crank

I did have help sewing this quilt top.  Westley felt he needed to supervise every step.

Westley checking my 1/4" seams

the supervisor napping on the job

checking out my cutting table


What we ended up with is this king sized quilt top.  It is 109" x 109".
on my bed

The blocks made a great secondary pattern when they are sewn together.  These are the two blocks I used to make the quilt.

4  4 patch blocks to make a 16 patch block

4 HST's to make pinwheel blocks

Last month I bought a bolt of fabric on sale.  This fabric spoke to me (I think you can figure out why).  Unfortunately, the designer used pink as the background, but, all the vintage sewing machines made this fabric worth putting up with pink.  

fun vintage sewing machines


This quilt top took quite a few people to make, and lots of machines. 

For the 4 patch blocks, there were 164 blocks made by 37 different people from 23 US states and 2 foreign countries.  The blocks were made on 70 different treadles or hand cranks dating from 1870's to 1964.

For the HST blocks, there were 166 blocks made by 40 different people from 20 US states and 2 foreign countries.  The blocks were made on 83 different treadles or hand cranks dating from 1862 to 1964.

Now to get the backing pieced and get everything to the long arm quilter.

PS:  This is my project for the 2022 UFO Challenge with my little quilt guild.  Woohoo!  I'm getting these UFO's done.  Not sure if I'll get to the Bonus UFO or not this month.  We'll see......

Are you getting any UFO's done this year???


17 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! A really beautiful way to put all those different blocks together :) Love the backing fabric too! If you hate the pink, what about testing some of it with a color remover or strong oxy soak to see if that fades it acceptably?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGosh that is a neat quilt and I love the signatures. The sewing machines will be a great backing for this, even in pink. Westley is absolutely adorable. I'm amazed you are getting anything done - I'd just want to snuggle with him. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt is lovely. That secondary design really makes it look as if you did blocks on point. I am going to remember that "trick."

    ReplyDelete
  4. this quilt is great use of all the blocks. love the sewing machine fabric I am with you on the pink but still great with this quilt Westley is so cute glad he is being your quilting buddy. not working on UFOs this last week and this week. quilted with a friend last week and got all the blocks done for Bonnie Hunter's mystery and borders made for a guild mystery. then on Monday had sew day with a group and got guild mystery together up to putting on the boarders. this week working on a customer quilt. will get back to UFOs soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely lovely! I started a top from mine a long time ago and need to get back to it. I feel like I might have some of those blocks... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful project with so many memories! Love that backing fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats an awesome quilt!!!! and Wesley!!! Oh my - that sweet face!!!

    ReplyDelete

  8. Congratulations on your big finish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quilt looks great! Love the supervisor!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I admire your get-up-and-go spirit to get another UFO done. It's worth the effort and beautiful! Your supervisor deserves a bonus, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's one of the things I love about assembling TOBE quilts - seeing the names of all the different sewists, where they're from and what machine they used. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did put your nose to the grindstone!!! But it was worth it. So I take it pink is not your favorite color? Not much going on here... so I am happy you are making progress!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did finish a UFO this year. I actually bound it and donated it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW!! It turned out wonderful, no doubt due to your furry supervisor, lol. LOVE the vintage sewing machine fabric you found, like pink isn't a favorite color for me; but if you pair it with lots of fun primarily black fabrics I think it will be great.

    Traveling Suitcase

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice quilt! It turned out great! So satisfying to get an old UFO finished :-). These simple blocks make for a lovely quilt for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks like a lot of fun!

    -- Jeanne

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).