Wednesday, February 16, 2011

New Home Sewing machine find

 I found this New Home sewing machine at a thrift store yesterday.  I'm still trying to decide if I should go back and get it.  I'd love a hand crank, and, I'm trying to figure out if this machine could be turned into a hand crank.  The serial number is 3070826.  I called Janome (they sell New Home machines) and the lady said that IF the machine was made in Orange, Mass, it would date to 1910.  Orange made machines from 1890-1930's.  She said the machines made in Rockford, IL (1932-1953) didn't have serial numbers like this one's.  The machine has been electrified at some point.  I think it was also moved to a different case, as this case doesn't look like one from 1910.  I wonder if it was a treadle machine
originally?  The shuttle is in the machine, and the
machine turns easily.  The decals are beautiful, where
they can be seen.  I don't know what damage is under
the 'pin strap'.  Hopefully it isn't too bad. 



7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! How amazing a find is that! I love antiques and to find that one for only $22?

    Thanks for stopping and commenting under my post on "Sew it's finished!"... I am looking at possible purchasing a Janome Memory Craft 9000...it is an older model. ...I do like vintage sewing machines, but really would like one that I can maybe do monograms too. Dawn and Wendy are the ones that started that blog and so they would be the one to get more information on how to join.

    I have only been handquilting, since I am without a sewing machine for now. You have done more than me :o)

    Blessings & Aloha!
    Please drop by my blog and if you do, please leave a comment so that I know you were there.
    So fun meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get that machine. Just for the tag "sowing machine", never mind that it is gorgeous. I am not sure about the hand crank part, someone from Treadle On might be able to help. I hope you can as it is handy to have one. One thing: I have a Eldredge Rotary that has a similar presser foot set up. If it is the same as this New Home, you will easily find attachments that work well for this machine. Always a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Cheryl,
    Yes. This machine can be converted to a handcrank. The open spoked wheels allow it. I have a NewHome handcrank w/ "paw" feet. I paid a bit more for it but am very happy to have it.
    My 2cents worth is: go back and buy it!
    Take Care, Cathy vJ in MA. (linked thru treadleon)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buy it! After all, the fields will be ready for sowing soon! so you can multi-task, lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a find! I think I would have snagged that baby right up! I love the curve of the arm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).