Friday, September 21, 2018

Gifts, Stitching & Freebie's

Last Thursday I got something special in the mail. Tina sold me her Atalanta (German) hand crank at the Michigan TOGA.  Well, shortly before Tina sold me the hand crank, she did some stitching on it, and remembered that it had a tendency to slide on the table while stitching (not a good thing). 

Well, Tina made me a grippy mat with crochet edges to go under the Atalanta.
grippy mat

grippy mat under the Atalanta
Tina didn't measure to see what size to make.  She just guessed.  She guessed really well.  It's a perfect fit, and I love the red on the edges.  Thanks Tina!

Last weekend was the first Camp Tuckabatchee quilt weekend since last Spring.  It was HOT!  Being at a camp, there isn't any AC.  Thank goodness several of us brought fans. 

Just before camp, I'd cut out 12 project bags.  I taught the ladies how to make project bags.  We will be selling some, along with other goodies, at the Camp Tuckabatchee Quilt Show, March 30-31, 2019.  If you are near Ottawa, IL, you should make plans to attend this show.  Also, you are welcome to enter a quilt (or several).  Just contact me, and I'll get you an entry form.

Well, not only did I teach how to make these bags, but, I got all but the handles and binding attached to all 12 of the bags I cut out.
12 project bags, almost finished
I've always used my regular (vintage) foot when I sewed the zippers on these bags.  Well, while cleaning my sewing room earlier this summer, I found one of my zipper feet, and brought it along with me.  I'd never used a zipper foot before.  It sure made it easier to stitch the zipper.
sewing with a zipper foot

I'll be keeping this zipper foot handy from now on. 

Back at the Michigan TOGA, Diana had a great way to carry her vintage hand cranks (with lids).  She'd made a carrier using an old curtain valance.
Diane's carrier
Well, I have a demo coming up, and I decided to make me some of these.  Instead of a valance, I found 4 matching, (new) pillow shams at the thrift store.  I bought some strapping and grabbed some of my velcro, and....
one of my carriers


I made 4 of these carriers.  I already have 3 of these on machines, since I'm starting to get ready for the Lyon's Farm Fall Festival, September 29 & 30, 2018.  I've had a booth, with several of my vintage machines, for many years now.  What a fun weekend, and it is forecast to be 'cool' this year.  Yipee!  Last year was super hot all weekend.  If you are anywhere near Yorkville, IL, I'd love to see  you at this event.  There is a car show on Sunday, so, bring the hubby.  Lots of stuff for the kids to do, too. 

Last night was my large quilt guild.  We have a 'freebie' table at guild.  I was standing at the table, chatting with a newer member, when someone threw something on the top of the pile.  The new member wanted to see what it was, so I grabbed it. It was a jacket.  The new member said she'd never wear it, but, from across the table, someone told me to try it on.  It fit GREAT!  (I should have had someone take my picture in the jacket, oh well).



Sandy D had made the jacket (and was the one that told me to try it on).  The chenille was from her grandmothers bedspread, and Sandy had over-dyed it.  The meandering quilting was her first time to meander.  It is trimmed really well.  This jacket has never been worn.  I already have plans to wear this tomorrow to a wedding shower, and a quilt show after the shower. Thanks Sandy!

There is a quilt show this weekend.  Next week, I'll have the Camp Tuckabatchee raffle quilt at 2 different quilt guilds, Prairie Star Quilt Guild on Tuesday, and Faithful Circle Quilt Guild on Wednesday.  I also need to get things ready for the Lyon's Farm Fall Festival, next weekend.  It will be a busy week, but, not much sewing will happen. 



10 comments:

  1. Niiiiice Jacket. And I love the bags and grippy mat. My niece made me a pot holder sized one for taking lids off of jars... works great.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great idea for the grippy mat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, and I thought I was busy! Hope all the events go well and you can get a bit of time for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a full schedule! Sounds like fun ...enjoy! The jacket is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like the jacket was made just for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems like it would be hard to hand crank and guide fabric under the needle at the same time. Don't know if I am coordinated enough to use one of those!

    How fun that the jacket fit you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the carrying case. You need a post on how to make one...more details. How is the Velcro attached?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are no-reply. The velcro is machine stitched on. Super easy.

      Delete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).