Sunday, September 30, 2018

2018 Lyon's Farm Fall Festival

This weekend was the Annual Lyon's Farm Fall Festival, and as usual, I had a booth with some of my vintage sewing machines. 

Hubby and I set up on Friday.  Our cars were loaded!  People always ask me how I get so many machines in the car.
floorboard of my car (seats moved as far forward as possible, so that long things can get in the back area)

start layering the back end of my car

finish layering the back end of my car

add machines to the back seat of my car

stuff in the back seat of hubby's car
I didn't get a picture of the treadle cabinet in the very back of hubby's car, with more stuff around the cabinet.  Even my front seat was loaded with a sewing machine chair.

When we were done setting up, I decided to stop at one of my favorite thrift shops, just a mile or so down the road.  It's always fun to see what they have in the crafting section.  I was about to give up on the crafting section when I spied a small bag crammed with fabric, that said 'Quilting Remnants $3' on it.
Hmmm.... I wonder what kind of remnants are in this bag....

Well, when I opened it up, it wasn't remnants, it was almost a completed quilted jacket.
what was in the bag
The front parts were already stitched to the back, and even the collar was sewn on.  All of it was already quilted.  I just needed to find fabric for the binding (not in the bag).  Darn, I had to go to the quilt shop ;). 

On Saturday, my friend Marilyn came and sewed with me in my booth.
Marilyn, stitching on an electric Japanese class 15 machine

Here are a few pictures of my booth.  I had 15 machines in my booth, along with some of my small quilted things.
Drawing Room Cabinet treadle in the foreground 

13 machines (including 2 toy machines)


aprons and jacket parts on the chairs

A gentleman visited the booth early on Saturday.  He and his wife are volunteers at Lyon's farm.  He saw my Singer 20 chainstitch toy machine and said that his wife has one very similar to it.  He called  his wife, and had her bring the machine with her. 
his wife's 1955 Singer 20 toy machine in a case

All the parts except the needle and the screw that holds the needle in were with their machine.  They even had the clamp to hold the machine to a table and the screwdriver.  The book is in great shape, too.  He left it in my booth for the whole weekend.  It was a fun addition to my booth.

On Sunday, hubby came and spent the day with me in the booth.  Hubby knows lots about many of my machines and enjoys telling people about them.  He even helped the kids to stitch on the 1914 Singer 66k (Lotus decals) hand crank that he uses to make some camping gear.  The kids love to get a chance to use one of the machines (especially the boys).  

I spent way more time chatting about machines than I did sewing over the weekend.  I did get the binding stitched to the jacket parts on Saturday, and did most of the hand stitching at home on Saturday night.  I finished the hand stitching on Sunday, and stitched the last parts of the jacket together.
me in my new quilted jacket

The Quilter's Dozen hand quilting group was set up in the building, too.  You can see them behind me, working on a whole cloth quilt.  I know many of the ladies in the group.  I love it when they are also in this building.  Usually they are in another building each year.  

With temps around 58 degrees on Saturday, and around 68 degrees today, it was a great weekend for the Fall Festival.  What a fun weekend!  

14 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun!! I don't think we have anything like that around in our area. I know very few women/men that even sew close to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are no-reply. You'd be surprised at how many stitchers might be around you, some of them thinking the same thing. Just find a couple, and start a group. They can then find a couple more, and it will expand. Large quilt guilds can be intimidating, especially to new quilters, but, small groups are usually very welcoming. I'm part of both, and I love all of them.

      Delete
  2. Great find/finish on the jacket!!! and I love all the vintage quilts on the tables!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your booth looks so good! That is such a lot of heavy lifting work to get everything there. Hope all enjoyed the features. Great looking jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe the jacket to be from the Town and Country jacket pattern. I have done several of those and always get compliments on it. You will love this one. You have a spacious booth and set up so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another fun find! I remember taking a jacket class at our LQS when I was pregnant with our 3rd child. He turns 39 in November and the jacket is still hanging in the closet. I enjoyed wearing it until my shoulders broadened from all the hours I put in swimming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely set up Cheryl, great to see these old machines still being used,

    Betty HOUSE OF CRANKS
    New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice set up Cheryl! Looks great and what a fun find for you on the jacket! And, it even fit you :-).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness that's a lot of machines--and work to get them all in there!
    Jealous of your cool temps--we've gone back up to the 80's for a few days. Blech.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! That little hand crank looks like one I got at an estate sale for $45. Minus all the bells and whistles! I love it. I suspect that it may be 1955 as well? Or do you know if they made them the same for many years?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are no-reply. If you are referring to the tan toy hand crank, yes, they made them for several years. The black version was sold for decades. The tan one's didn't come out until near the 1950's. I'd have to check my book for more info.

      Delete
  10. Great find (the quilted jacket) and I was absolutely amazed at what you could fit in your car. Looks like a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I took a couple of days to read and look over your post as there were so many grand pictures. You did a lot of work to get them there. Just a wonderful exhibit. Thanks for the photos.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).