Saturday, February 2, 2019

Harry Potter Project of Doom (re-start) & other sewing

Way back, February 5, 2013, I started piecing blocks for the Harry Potter Project of Doom quilt from Sewhooked.  I pieced blocks each week until May, when my oldest son graduated college, and never got back to piecing blocks after that.  I did get started on embroidering book titles onto the blocks, but stopped in September 2013.  As usual, I was making more than just one set of these blocks.  I was making 2 sets of each block, to make sure that when I finished, I'd get one of the quilts.  (I really should have been making 3 sets, so each of my son's would also get a quilt).

With my new job, I have some time to do handwork each day.  Since I'd finished my Be Attitudes quilt top (was my current handwork project until New Years) I decided it was time to pull the Harry Potter blocks out and see how much embroidery I had left to do.  Here are the blocks I've finished in January.
one block embroidered
both blocks embroidered

I'd left notes to myself of what colors to embroider each book with, and most of the blocks were already marked, but, some of them said 'sticky' and I can't remember what 'sticky' stuff I was planning on using.  These were all on dark colored fabrics where it would be hard to see my markings or even to mark the fabric with a light box.  Any suggestions from any of you would be appreciated.  I have a couple of blocks partly done, waiting until I figure out how to mark the dark books.

I didn't have to work on Wednesday, thank goodness.  The Chicago area temperatures for Tuesday & Wednesday nights were -23 degrees, and the high for Wednesday was -16 degrees.  On Thursday morning my son called me into the laundry room to show me the frost on my dryer.  The dryer vent is only a few feet long thru the wall, and the cold air from outside caused frost on the front of the dryer, by the filter.
frost on the front of our dryer

Last Saturday, I had the 2nd of the Mug Rug classes at church for the ladies who couldn't get there due to the snow the week before.  Here are their mug rugs.




I decided to join the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for the first time.  I've only gotten my half square triangles made so far.  I use Triangulations to make my HST's.  January's color is RED.
Stitching HST's on a 1927 Singer 15 hand crank

I've cut out 3 baby quilts, and have just started stitching on them.  I hope to have lots of progress on them this weekend.  All 3 baby quilts need to be finished VERY soon.  I also hope to have the RSC blocks for January finished this weekend.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to see your Harry Potter quilt again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a few texts/messages regarding the temps up there, all wondering if I missed it. Nope, not at all!!! Although it wasn't exactly balmy down here. Don't you love how our minds work? (I'll remember that!!!) Not. Can't think of a single solution for you at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you didn't have to work Wednesday. Love the HP blocks - can't wait to see the finished quilts. I'm sorry that I'm no help with the 'sticky' situation. I do hate it when my perfectly good notes at the time are incomplete or make no sense later. Good Luck! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. No help here either for the embroidery. The blocks look great though.
    I need to print off the triangulations for hsts for me to use. I hate most other methods for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those Harry Potter blocks are quite cute, as for the sticky stuff perhaps you were planning to use Sticky Fabri Solvy, It is a stick and wash away product mainly used with printer but I have used small pieces and hand traced what I needed. Here is a link to get a better idea (I personally use Pellon Stick and wash away) https://bustleandsew.com/embroidery/how-to-use-sulky-sticky-fabri-solvy-to-transfer-your-pattern/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are no-reply, so I hope you see this. I think it was the Sticky Fabri Solvy that I had tried. Now to figure out where I put it. I just hand drew it on, and then cut it out. Thanks for the help.

      Delete
  6. I have always wanted to make a book shelf quilt with all of my favorite books but while I don't mind embroidery, it's really not my thing so I don't think I'd ever finish even if I started. Those are some bitter cold temps! My son got that up at college, too. (At least it kills off the bugs and weeds!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back to the POD! I should do that too. I've got the blocks back to 19, I think. Good idea.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Harry Potter quilt will be so cute when it's finished! Good job getting back to it. Sometimes its hard for me to go back to a project aftar a long length of time. Wasn't the cold bruttal!! Our high on Wednesday was -25. I didn't leave the house for days! The warm temps yesterday and today have melted a lot of the snow away!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You wow me with how much you do. I'm glad the Harry Potter quilt is getting new attention. It is always nice to have an excuse to stay inside ... and something to do there.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).