Saturday, March 2, 2019

Giraffe Baby Quilts, etc.

I've been busy the past few weeks, trying to finish up some Giraffe baby quilts.  I have one more to quilt and bind, but that baby isn't due until April.

First, hubby was invited to a diaper shower downstate.  The new to be father is a hiking buddy of hubby's.  This baby needed more than just diapers.  Everything but the backing fabric was already in my stash.



The backing is orange Minkee, and the binding is the same fabric I used for the binding for my son's wedding quilt.

The father to be's mother is also a quilter.  I was invited to come quilt with her during the diaper shower.  What fun!  I got to check out her vintage sewing machines, and also meet up with one of her quilting buddy's (Sharon) who also reads my blog.  What a fun day! 

I also finished another Giraffe quilt for my granddaughter's first birthday.  Gwendolynn loves Sophie the Giraffe on TV.  Since Sophie the Giraffe is in regular giraffe colors, Gwendolynn's quilt needed to be regular giraffe colors, too.  I'd found this great backing, minkee type fabric, at a thrift store, and had all the other fabrics in my stash, including the binding.




Since I don't free motion quilt, I decided to try some new things with my walking foot for the quilting on both of these quilts.  Really simple patterns in the blank spaces above the giraffe's heads, and I just outlined the inside and outside of the giraffe bodies.





The pattern is Lorna's from Sew Fresh Quilts

I've also been working on my Harry Potter: Project of Doom blocks.  I've finished these two blocks.

Week #3, 2nd block finished
Week #7, 2nd block finished

I've finished another block, but haven't washed the wash away product that I used for some of the embroidery.  I'll show it soon.

I'm almost finished with my RSC19 Yellow blocks.  Hopefully they will be done later this morning.  I'm also hoping to finish my Crazy quilt this week.  It will be in a quilt show the last weekend of March.  The Camp Tuckabatchee 'Little Cabin in the Woods' quilt show will be March 30 & 31, 2019 at the Knights of Columbus Hall in Ottawa, IL.  If you are anywhere near here, I'd love to have you come.  It's a great quilt show.  This is my first year to help with the quilt show.  I've attended the show many times over the past years.  

18 comments:

  1. Love your giraffe. You have quite a herd. POD is coming along. I did consider a trip to the quilt show, but that is quite a lot of driving for us. Have a good one.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your giraffe quilts! I have the pattern and can't wait to make one...Lorna is so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your giraffe quilts are just daring, and I like the way you quilted them. Enjoy your quilt show. I know you have lots of talent to add.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, these came out so cute! Love Lorna's pattern and have this one - Summer project. That backing find was perfect for the natural color giraffes. How fun that not only she is a quilter, but a collector of machines like you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The giraffe quilts are great; fun to find new quilters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your giraffe quilts! Lorna's patterns are great fun and well written.

    Congratulations on getting a couple of POD blocks done too. I like your embroidered titles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The giraffes are adorable! Your walking foot quilting is perfect. I seldom free motion on minkee; the walking foot is my choice for it. Sounds like you are keeping busy and being quite productive. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your 2 giraffe baby quilts are just too cute. I really like the way you quilted them. Perfect backing on your granddaughters. Wish the quilt show was closer. I know it would be a good show.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great collection of giraffes! Those will be two happy babies. You continue to amaze me with all you get done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quite a pair of wild animal quilts I see! Both are very cute and so expressive for the babies! How do you get so much done with working now? Great finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed the day sewing and getting to know each other the day of the diaper shower. Mary Ann and I hope to come visit you and your groups this spring for the class with Keven the quilter you told us about.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, those giraffe quilts are adorable and will no doubt be loved to bits! You have been a busy girl indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Giraffe quilt is totally adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These have to be some of the cutest baby quilts I have ever seen! Great job Cheryl!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh the giraffe quilts are so cute. But the one for Gwendolyn is my favorite and the backing just brings a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both of your giraffe quilts are delightful! I love that you had a chance to make this two ways. Sorry I missed this earlier!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Where can I get the giraffe pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are a no-reply commentor, so I can't reply directly to you. https://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com/ Lorna is the designer, and that link will take you to her blog (photo of the giraffe quilt is shown in her header). Click on 'Shop for Patterns' and you can find the quilt pattern. Check out her other patterns while you are there. Lots of great patterns.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).