Thursday, April 16, 2020

Finally, Some Stitching for ME!

I finished another 25 face masks Tuesday.  I don't know about you, but I'm getting tired of sewing face masks.  Don't worry, I'll do more, but I need a break first.

About a decade ago, I saw a cute pattern at a (formerly) local quilt shop.  I didn't get it then, and have regretted it for years (the store went out of business about a year later).  I've looked online for the pattern, but, when you don't know the name of the pattern, it's hard to find it.  Barbara at Cat Patches had the pattern.  Then, suddenly, it was advertised on Quilt in a Day

Since my father in law spent about 10 days trying to find toilet paper, hubby and I decided that my inlaws needed this quilt.  As usual, I can't make just one of anything, so I started 2 quilts (one is for me).

On Wednesday, I pulled out fabrics, and got the quilt to this point.
2 little quilts
Then I traced all the patterns onto freezer paper, and cut them out.

Today, I starched the edges of all the pieces.
starched pieces
Then I put the pieces into 'rolls'.
prepped for applique

I glue basted all the 'rolls' onto both quilt backs, then started hand applique.  So far, I've appliqued almost 3 'rolls'.  These should be quick quilts. 
glue basted, waiting to be appliqued 


Here is the pattern.


2020 has been a weird year.  We had snow yesterday, and are expecting another 2-5 inches overnight.  Isn't it supposed to be Spring???
over 2.5 inches

11 comments:

  1. Not one, but TWO toilet paper quilts?! SEW funny!!! Definitely a weird year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I saw that pattern, too! Fun! Can't wait to get back to sewing normal things--I'm hoping this weekend...maybe? Yes, I'm so tired of the masks but there is light at the end of that tunnel! We've missed this last snow--thank goodness! (And that's a lot coming from this snow-lover!). It's said that this weekend (tonight included) will be our last really cold nights (33')--crossing my fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen the TP pattern around here. It will be a perfect, fun quilt for your in-laws! Hopefully we'll miss the snow tonight. Sewing masks is a daily activity around here and it does get old. Hoping to get outside more next week. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny! Glad you made one for yourself. And more snow!! Oh my, we are having 80 degrees already, and it's only April!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to laugh at that one because some friends who know I am a quilter have sent me a picture of those TP quilts. I really like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad you can have some fun in this trying time. I have seen this so funny and fitting for this time. I have also seen the quilting design of toilet paper I might quilt a quilt with it just for fun and a scrap quilt. stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, that TP quilt pattern has been shared around the world and I remember Barbara's. I like the small wall quilt instead - a reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is the perfect pattern!! and right? Snow?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for your snow, Cheryl! It is spring here. My daffodils are long gone. Now I have irises and columbine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes I just recently saw this pattern too, think it was a FB group maybe. Too funny and appropriate right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I first saw this (or something similar) on the door of the facilities at a quilt shop in Hastings NE, the Calico Cottage, when I lived there in 2002-2007. Always thought it was cute!!! We had a late season frost/freeze down here, no snow though.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).