Friday, August 28, 2020

August Stitching and Something NEW is Coming!

I went 40 days without sewing on a sewing machine.  I've been busy hand quilting instead.  Speaking of hand quilting, I'm now up to over 237 hours of quilting on this quilt so far (over 114 hours since July 11th of this year). 

I finally got up to my sewing room last weekend.  I needed to make exchange blocks.  I pulled out some matching sewing themed fabrics, and made enough HST's for 16 blocks.  I sewed a set together, and OOPS!  Silly me picked 2 fabrics with no contrast between them. 
no contrast
Nice fabrics, but I needed a nice contrast.  Oh well.  These will make some low volume blocks for some project down the road. I pulled some more fabrics, and started over.  Why do things like this happen when you are in a rush?  Here are the new blocks (16 in a stack).  These are for the Virtual River Rat TOGA (Treadle On Gathering & Academy). 
exchange blocks
I also needed to finish the last 4 blocks for my Spool Block exchange (also with Treadle On).
Spool blocks for exchange
I made a total of 37 blocks for this exchange, but I only needed to send 32 blocks.  I'm keeping the other 5 blocks.  Here are the rest of the blocks that I've made.




I finished the last 18 Striped Circle blocks (Woohoo!)  Now to get them sewn together.


Last Thursday was our grandson's 1st Birthday.  We Skyped with our son and his family to watch Korin open his presents from us.  During the Skype call, one of my son's friends (from junior high, etc.) came by with a cake for us from my son and his wife.

We're going to be grandparents for the 3rd time!  This baby isn't due till late April, so I have some time to make some quilts.

Hopefully I'll have more to show soon.  I have several quilts that need to be made in the next few weeks or before Christmas.  I also need to finish hand quilting, and bind the quilt that I've been working on since early July (actually since 2010).  And no, that isn't my oldest UFO.



17 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You will be a busy lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you took time off, it doesn't show in the results. I have a small collection of sewing prints. Not enough for a quilt, but could be used in that kind of block. I have yet to greet my youngest granddaughter in person. Skype can be a good thing but in person is a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!! I bet you were surprised - what a neat way to tell you of the pregnancy. I'm so glad you have been hand quilting; I miss it but my old hands don't. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a LONG time to go without sewing on a machine, Cheryl!! You really seem to have made up for lost time, though. Congratulations on the need for MORE baby quilts! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! What a fun way to receive the expecting news. You have been busy. I love the spool blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely way to surprise you with the news of a new grandchild. Many congratulations. I had to laugh when you wrote that you haven't been using your machine for sewing for 40 day. But you haven't been idle in that time with so many hours of hand quilting to show for. I can't wait to see the result. Lots of other lovely projects on the go as well. Busy as ever. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. congratulations Grandma and Grandpa how exciting. hopefully by then you can go see them. blocks are great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. congratulations Grandma and Grandpa how exciting. hopefully by then you can go see them. blocks are great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats to you and the new parents to be ! Always fun to have a new one on the way. You have been busy I think. All the hours invested in hand quilting. What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to keep busy. But I don't think I could last 40 days without my DSM, even with hand work instead! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the new baby! Forty days without sewing on a sewing machine must be some kind of record. You've gotten a lot accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! New babies are such great news these days!
    Love those spool blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cheryl, I love the spool blocks! Not only for the colorful threads, but especially I love that fabric you used for the spool itself. The mottled appearance makes them look like real wooden spools!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are no-reply:( That spool fabric was in my stash. It does look just like wood.

      Delete
  14. You have plenty to show for your time... Seeing all those spool blocks reminds me ... I had an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many great projects going on at your house. What an awesome way to learn you are going to be a grandparent again! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great projects and wow, what a surprise! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).