Saturday, December 25, 2021

A Difficult Few Months, and Not Much Sewing

I've been meaning to post, but I just haven't figured out how to tell everyone about my difficult October/November/December.  

Since January 2019, I've been a caregiver for a blind man from my church.  Such a sweet, special man, and a strong christian man.  He was diagnosed with MDS, a blood cancer before I became his caregiver.  He'd been doing well, but his 'markers' started getting bad.  His doctors told him that the only cure was to have a bone marrow transplant.  Before he could have the transplant, he had to go thru several rounds of chemo, which he tolerated well.  

Well, he went in for his bone marrow transplant a few days after I went on my trip, in early October.  Things were going well for him until early November, when he took a turn for the worse.  Unfortunately, he didn't survive, and died on November 18th.  I've not wanted to sew much since all of this started.  All the stress and worry about his transplant and health, just took all my sewing Mojo away from me.  

I finally made myself start stitching, since I needed to finish some Christmas presents for my grandkids, and some other things.

I have very few photos of what I've been working on these past 3 months, sorry.  I've just been too scattered to remember to take photos. I did get a lot organized in my sewing room (still lots more to do in there).

I did get my exchange blocks from the Treadle On Fall Basic TOBE (Treadle On Block Exchange).



My little quilt guild made 'I Spy' blocks to play Bingo with for our Holiday party.  There were 45 different categories of things to choose from for each block.  Things like: Animals, Solid Red, Transportation, Solid Blue, Butterflies, Bugs, Candy, Food, Christmas, etc.  I had fabrics from 43 of the 45 different categories (I didn't have any Kites and I didn't want to go to the basement to get Pine cone fabric).  The blocks were 25 patch blocks.  I got so busy cutting 2 1/2" squares that I ended up with 8 blocks.  The blocks will be put into charity quilts. (sorry, no photos)

My little guild also had an exchange.  The lady whose name I drew wanted an Arm Chair Caddy. I did make one, but I totally forgot to take any photos of it.  The tutorial I used is here.  It was fun to make, and I did change it up a bit, since I wanted the pin cushion part to be a different material.  I received a lovely, two-sided runner as my gift.  Sorry, I haven't taken a photo of it, either.  I'll try to show a photo in a future blog post.

I appliqued (fusible) some fun things on aprons (from Hobby Lobby) for my grandkids.  The two older grandkids love to wear aprons. Each apron has something on it that is 3D (bunny ears, turtles ball cap brim, horses mane, and lots of buttons).




I also made them 3 different fabric books (sorry, I forgot to take photos).  I did get to see them (thru Skype) open their aprons and books just before I started this blog post.  Yipee for Skype and modern technology, since they live in Alaska.

I cut out 2 more pairs of ruffled pants for my best friends granddaughter.  Hopefully I'll get them stitched up in January.  I even cut them out in the same fabrics that I used for my granddaughters ruffled pants.  

I finished stitching down the binding on the 2nd Harry Potter Castle quilt.  I used that quilt to teach a different method of joining the ends of binding to my little quilt guild in November.  (Again, no photos, sorry). 

I also made 10 Pin Cushion Thread Catchers (3 are already out the door). I still need to stitch the pin cushions closed on the last 7. (Again, no photos).

I've done other sewing, too, but no photos (some is secret).

I'll try to get back in the habit of taking photos of what I've been sewing (and also blogging).  I'd just gotten caught up with blog reading November 1st, when everything started going downhill for my friend and client.  I just haven't been in the mood to read blogs (or blog) since then.  I'll try to start reading and writing blog posts again.  

I do know that I'll be writing a new blog post next week, after I get my 'Christmas Present'.  I'm supposed to get it on Tuesday.  

Merry Christmas!


12 comments:

  1. Cheryl, I am so sorry. It's so hard to lose someone close; I pray you can hold your memories close. When you made yourself sew, you really did accomplish a lot! Can't wait to hear about your Christmas Present. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl, I am so sorry for you loss. I know how something like that can derail you. I wish you peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must have come as a big shock to lose the man you've been looking after. It seems he did well at first, but his time on this earth was up. I can imagine that you lost your sewing mojo for a while. I really like the kid's apron you made for your grandchildren and the swap blocks look great too. I hope your Christmas was merry and I wish you all the very best for the New Year. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always such sad news to lose someone suddenly and who means so much. I am sorry. Know that your friend is looking over you and would love to have you back into doing what you love...sewing! You've made lots of great progress on so many projects and we look forward to seeing you back in Blogland. Merry Christmas, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. Hugs to you. I am glad you are doing some sewing, it's great therapy. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for your loss, Cheryl. Nothing to add. I hope the passage of time will bring you peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I hope fabric therapy helps soothe the hurt and get you back in a good frame of mind!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Cheryl, how very sad. I hope you will be feeling better soon. It is always so hard to lose someone we care for. Take care and may blessings abound for you in 2022.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hugs and lots of them (((((( ))))))!!! Its terrible when bad things happen to good people, nuff said. Glad you are sewing again. That is the first step to getting back in routine. Love the little aprons... now who can wait that long for a present? Do you know what it is? Or are still guessing? Glad you are back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry for your loss. it takes time to heal, and its okay to take a moment. I hope your projects bring you joy and healing

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been wondering how you have been doing. The sacrifice you have made to be with and help this man are a great example of the real holiday spirit. I am sorry for your loss but I hope it's comforting knowing you were able to be that "hand of Jesus" for him here on earth. You've set yourself aside beautifully but now that he's with Him, it's your time to heal! Sew away and allow the peace to settle in. Merry Christmas to you and all of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I am sorry for the loss of your fiend. Cute aprons, and projects.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).