Friday, October 1, 2021

Lyon's Farm and Stitching

 Lyon's Farm Fall Festival was last weekend.  I've had a booth at their festival every year except one since 2012.



This year, one of the projects that I worked on at the festival was 2 pairs of ruffled pants for my granddaughter.  

sewing on a Singer 301A at the festival

I don't sew clothes.  I did make my granddaughter some T-shirt dresses earlier this year.  Those were my first clothing I've made since Home Ec in 9th grade.  My shirt in Home Ec turned out looking like a maternity top (despite the teacher checking every step).

Well, I bit the bullet and decided to try this pattern (found at Goodwill).

ruffled pants pattern

The pattern suggests either surging all the seams or using a zig zag stitch.  Well, all the machines at the festival were straight stitch machines.  Because of the straight stitch issue, I decided to do rolled hems on each seam.



Pinning each rolled hem takes LOTS of time.  I didn't get much sewing done at the festival.  Once I started, I had to keep going, so that all the seams were the same.  After the festival, I stitched on my purple Featherweight.

stitching the hem

I made lots of mistakes, but I learned from each mistake.  I did use the serger on the inside leg seams, and on the ruffles.  I finally finished both pairs of ruffled pants late last night. 



If you look close at both pairs of pants, you can see one of my mistakes.  I decided that that mistake was going to stay.

I also made a satin and flannel blanket for my newest grandson.  His big sister and big brother both have one, and I was told he needed one, too.


I also got the binding stitched onto one of the Harry Potter Castle quilts.  I haven't had time to take photos yet.  The quilter did a great job on both quilts.


14 comments:

  1. You are so industrious! Those ruffled pants look like something from the 60's :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever the mistake is on the pants, I don't see it - so I assume most people won't see it when they are being worn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure your granddaughter will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those ruffled pants are so cute! I'm guessing the 'mistake' is the ruffle is reversed on one pair. I like it - each pair is unique. The firetruck quilt is cute. The kids will love their gifts. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute pants yes clothes take time and effort I have not sewn clothes for a few years and then it was a skirt for Daughter long gathered skirt with belt and pockets...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sewing garments is always tedious and to do roll-up seams, well, that's to take it to another level! Congrats on those pants. Even with the mistake they look amazingly fun! Bravo! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great treat you give the community to see your beautiful collection of machines! The fancy pants look like great fun to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice job on the work around. I've made lots of garments... but not much any longer. I did not look for your error... because well if you didn't tell no one would know!!! Your booth looked very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute pants! I saw that the ruffle was different on them, but I can't tell which is the mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good on you for tackling a clothing project! Not my favorite type of sewing, either. The ruffled pants are adorable, and the mistake is not really noticeable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sewing clothes is not my favourite thing anymore either! I used to sew most of my own clothes and my kids' until 1989 when I started quilting lol. Great job. Did you try the rolled hemmer attachment for the old machines...saves you pinning all those small rolled seams :-). They work slick once you get a little practice in :-).

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did a great job on the clothing! I enjoy making outfits on occasion, but I'd prefer to piece a quilt! LOL! We have a Lyon's Farm close to us (just across the state line in Tennessee), but it's more of a pumpkin patch attraction! Congratulations on the new grandbaby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMGosh...Look how your GrandGirls have grown and are so adorable in their cute Gran made outfits. AND your Family of Grands has grown since we last visited. So enjoyed seeing your booth set up and see Betty Sue still sewing up a storm on quilts and now clothes. Meant to be!!! I've made a couple of post on my blog in an attempt to get back to blogging. I think it will be good therapy and a way to go forward. Explanation on CollectInTexas Gal...come see me!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).