Thursday, October 6, 2022

I'm Home! (Catching up)

Since my last blog post I've been on 2 more trips.  The first trip was a vacation with extended family in Cloudcroft, New Mexico. We flew into Albuquerque and went up Sandia Peak.  I hadn't been up Sandia Peak since I was a senior in high school.

the sky at sunset



Albuquerque from the top of Sandia Peak

We drove with hubby's brother and sister-in-law to Cloudcroft (where we met up with hubby's parents).  While driving to Cloudcroft, we kept passing this overloaded van.

overloaded van


From the front (sorry, I couldn't get a photo), we could see at least 3 6 foot tables along with other stuff, strapped to the roof.  Since they turned when we got to Alamogordo, we figured that it was a military family moving to the Air Force base there.

In Cloudcroft, we stayed at a cabin called Elk Hollow.  Great cabin (my father-in-law found it on VRBO).  We saw 20-60 elk every morning and late afternoon going up or down the mountain by our cabin.  We'd just walk out onto the balcony, and they were just feet away.  There were at least 5 different bull elk, with the largest having 13 points.

overflow parking at the cabin

from the balcony




in front of the cabin


On Friday night, we attend 'Blazing Guns at Roaring Gulch' A Cloudcroft Light Opera Company production.  


What a hoot!  We cheered the good guys, Boo'd the bad guys and threw popcorn.  What a fun evening!  The Cloudcroft Light Opera raised at least $500 for a scholarship for a local student.  They try to raise fund for at least 5-10 $500 scholarships each year.

When I got home, I found this.

see the battery acid coming out?

My car battery was dead (it was 5 years old).  Hubby & son were off all day playing disc golf, so a nice neighbor helped me get the old battery out and the new battery installed.  Thank goodness NAPA Auto Parts was open on Labor Day. 

I was only home for one week before I headed back out, this time to Texas for my mother-in-laws knee replacement surgery.  We didn't get home till Oct 1st.  From Father's Day (June 19th) thru Oct 1st, I've only been home a total of 32 days.

I did get some stitching done since my last blog post.  I quilted, bound and gifted a baby quilt.





I also finished 3 more blocks for the Angels Among Us calendar quilt..

February

March

April

Over the summer we found out that our 4th grandchild will arrive around my birthday (first week of February).  It will be a girl.  Now to figure out some quilts for the new grandbaby.  I'm trying to decide if I will paper piece a quilt for the new grandbaby, like I've done for the other 3 grandkids.  We've done Peter Pan, Lord of the Rings/Hobbit and Harry Potter.  What theme would this one be?  I need some ideas.

11 comments:

  1. Pooh!! :D and are you ready to stay home and hunker down for the winter, after all your travels? The baby quilt was adorable!! Anne K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Winnie the Pooh? I loved him and his gang when I was little (I still do).

      Delete
  2. So glad you are home for a while. Another grand baby is so exciting!!! Sorry but at the moment I have no ideas for a quilt - it's late and I'm tired. If I think of something tomorrow, I'll let you know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cloudcroft is a beautiful place. Cold at night even in summer! You had a beautiful view. I know it will be nice to stay at home for a while. It is always fun to travel, but great to be home.
    I had a Great Grandson on January he was 7 or 8 weeks early and only weighed 2pounds, 6 Oz. I made blankets out of flannel for him and cloths from doll cloths pattens. He is doing very well now, eating and gaining weight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is a whole lot of travel! What fun to see the Elk up close. I hope you traveled with your sewing machine for some of the time at least!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been a busy summer for ya!!! Humm.... maybe nursery characters... many of them... Pooh or Piglet, Bo Peep, Miss Muffet, all the girly happy things of early childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Goodness you have been busy - those elk tho!!! I could watch then all day - how awesome!!!!! Sorry about your battery - that always put a kink in things!!! Oh! and Blazing guns sounds awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whew....you've beens super busy!! Wonderful pictures, sounds like your cabin trip was fantastic. That van, how in the world did they pack that? You would need a tall ladder to get up that high. Hope they have lots of help getting everything unloaded. The pink quilt is adorable! Love the color combinations. Nice of you to help out after surgery. Hope she's well on the mend. How about Paddington Bear for your new grand? Congrats to you and yours. I know you'll have fun figuring out your new quilt and be excited to welcome a new wee one into the family.
    Traveling Suitcase

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome home. What a neat cabin. Another grand baby! Woohoo. My silly suggestion since you make such interesting baby quilts. Fandom of quilts has a series of very cute Hocus Pocus blocks. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome home and congrats on another new little one! Expecting our third (a girl) here at the very end of Jan. Looks like they'll be very close!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).