Saturday, October 15, 2011

Catching up!

Our yard, flocked!
 Wow!  I can't believe it's been 10 days since I last blogged.  I've been so busy!  My boss FINALLY decided to give me more hours each week.  Now I'm working a few hours several days a week.  I'm also still volunteering with the church at least one afternoon a week.  That means I have less time for other things.  But, I have been quilting.



Neighbors yard, flocked!
We got Flocked!  Our church's youth raise money for mission activities by 'flocking' yards.  The flamingos roost in your yard for about 24 hours.  You can pay to have someone flocked.  We flocked our neighbors, since they loved it when we got flocked last year.  My neighbor called me last night, laughing.  She and her hubby had driven into our cul-de-sac and were joking about us getting flocked, when they drove up to their house and saw their own flock.  They loved it!
local Halloween decorations
 Hubby and I drove to some garage sales today.  While we were out, we saw this yard FULL of Halloween decorations.  Oh my!  My hubby wanted me to take pictures of it.  The first two pictures are of the same house.  The third picture is of the house next door.  Thank goodness there wasn't any other 'mooning' going on there.


local Halloween decorations



local Halloween decorations
 
hand quilted table runner

old iron

sewing machine drawers for a VS machine

slots for long bobbins

Halloween table runner

Spiderweb quilting on table runner



















I made this table runner two years ago.  It is hand quilted. It was super easy to piece.  I did raw edge applique on it.  Nothing was fused, since I hand quilted it. I've done very little applique, since it is harder to hand quilt thru all the layers.  Hand quilting thru fuseable applique just isn't worth the effort.  I found some cute, orange placemats earlier this week that go with the table runner.  Now I have several placemat options to use with it. 

Cute turkey!  Gobble! Gobble!


I've been wanting an old iron.  I found one yesterday at an antique store that is going out of business. Since I see them so often, I didn't want to pay very much.  This one was half price.  I also found the sewing machine drawers at the same place.  They were also half off.  They were already cheap.  They are for a machine that uses long bobbins.  The top drawer has a holder in it that holds 5 bobbins. 
















Last fall, I made three table runners and a set of placemats on my very first treadle, a 1896 Singer 15.  I started quilting them using a thread I'd never used before.  It didn't want to 'pull through' the fabric.  I had to really tug to get it to work.  I didn't like it, and, finally snipped it all out.  By then, it was Halloween, and I put the project down until later.  Well, later has come, at least for one of the table runners.  I found a pale grey thread for the spiderwebs.  I've been working on this for a few weeks.  It's only getting worked on during commercials while watching TV (mainly 'Castle', love that show).  There are five spiderwebs on this table runner.  I'm working on the fourth one.  

Lastly, I found this turkey at a garage sale today.  Isn't he cute!  Can you tell I'm starting to get into the 'Fall' spirit?

6 comments:

  1. Love the flocking idea! Just great! Also love all the halloween decorations. I used to love driving around enjoying them each year we lived in the states! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever 'flocking'. Love the 'Harvest Moon' - too funny. Oh, I have some old irons like that - my great aunties. And your new found Turkey decor is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your table runners and goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the circles on the table runner, so cute.. all of the table runners are adorable, as is the flock. :o) Mooning pumpkin man.. hahahah Haven't seen that before. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that spiderweb quilting on your table runner - just adorable!!! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love flamingos, LOVE Castle, too. Love Nathan Fillion in anything really.

    great eye candy in this post. there's just something about circles. I'm using them more and more (and more and more).

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).