Saturday, July 20, 2013

Thursday and My Big Score!

I kinda left you hanging on the last post.  Sorry, it has been busy here. 

After sew-in on Thursday,  I was too early for my hair appointment, so, when I saw a garage sale, I decided to kill a few minutes and check it out.  As I stopped the car, I saw this sitting on the table.

Singer 66k serial number F5277835 (1914)
The wood on this machines case is shot.

case cover

end of case cover, part of base for machine
veneer coming off parts area cover


I think this machine was stored in a shed for several years.  Luckily, so far, I don't think there is any rust on the machine itself. 

There were lots of attachments and goodies in the parts storage area.  I still haven't had time to see what all is in there.

dirty attachments and area

dirty attachments and needles
There is no foot pedal for this machine.  Also, it has a motor that I've not seen before.  I think it is a friction motor, meaning that it touches the hand wheel itself, instead of using a belt to turn the hand wheel. 

friction motor?  can't plug it in, since no cords

motor is on an 'arm' that folds under the machine so that the lid can be put on the base
see how the motor arm folds under?  Kinda cool


The decals on this Singer 66K (the 'K' tells you that the machine was made in Kilbowie, Scotland), has Lotus decals.  My other Singer 66 has the Red Eye or Red Head decals that were only used on singer 66's that were made in the USA.

Lotus decals

nice face plate design
This machine is a back clamping style.  Singer only used back clamping styles on some of its 66 model machines, and only for a short time.  The back clamping means that the feet of the machine attach at the back, not the side of the presser bar, like most other machines do.

up close of the back clamp foot attachment
I'm glad that this machine came with lots of attachments, since I don't have any other back clamp machines in my collection.  I'm hoping that the feet all clean up nicely.

This machine had a price tag of $20, but, I only offered them $15.  I told them that the wood was too far gone to be saved, and that with the cords and the foot pedal gone, that it would cost me to turn it into a hand crank.  They were surprised that I would want to try to sew on it.  They just thought someone would want it as a decoration piece, in the shape it is in.  It might become a decoration piece, but, not until it has had lots of elbow grease applied to it, and maybe a new base for it.  I'm hoping to be able to save the base.  I don't think I can do anything for the outside of the case lid.  I'll at least give it a try. 

Thursday evening was quilt guild.  The speaker was David Taylor of David Taylor Quilts.  I'm not an art quilter, but, this guy's quilts are FANTASTIC!  We scored front row seats, and boy was he a hoot as a speaker.  Check out his quilts on his website.  Oh my!  The work that goes into his quilts is mind boggling!  If you are in a quilt guild, mention him as a speaker.  You won't be sorry! 

David Taylor (told ya I had good seats)

projection of his first quilt, waaayyyyy back when

gallery in the South of France with some of his quilts displayed thru the windows

David holding his 2012 quilt

the back of the 2012 quilt
See, you really need to check out his work.  Look at that wood!  Oh my!  David Taylor Quilts!

This weekend is the Batavia Quilt and Textile Show.   I am working in the Quilts of Valor booth (Friday and Saturday).  I already have lots of pictures for my next post.  It is a fun show.  Hope to see  you there!




10 comments:

  1. I'm thinking that motor is NOT original, and that what I wrote you earlier was probably right, but I wonder if this motor didn't turn in the opposite direction. You should be fine adding a hand crank. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see you at the show, but I guess I'll see the show right here, at my computer in CA.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice machine to add to you collection have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this machine deserves a handcrank--although it would be easier to put it in a treadle. I hope it cleans up easily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great find!!! It would certainly make a beautiful hand crank! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great luck finding this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fantastic purchase! It was calling your name to come home with you! If I was you, I would convert it to a hand crank and then sell it to my friend Kathy! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A sewing machine from 1914 it is beautiful. The case cover looks a little worse for wear but that is a quick fix. At least you are savvy enough that you can make it all work even with the missing pieces.


    Please Visit my website : Split-Site PhD

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).