Saturday, November 16, 2019

Long Time No See and a New Machine

Wow, I haven't blogged since Oct. 1st.  I've been stitching, but not much.  I've been busy trying to save several of my Yahoo sewing machine groups.  Yahoo will be deleting photos, files and such on Dec.14th.  I hate to see all that great info being lost. 

A few days ago I was asked if I'd like another vintage sewing machine.  Today I picked it up.
1950 Singer 15-91 #AJ489583

The machine came in a desk style cabinet.  I seldom keep the cabinets, since they take up so much room, but I might keep this one (if I can figure out where to put it).

bobbin holder and oil can holder in top drawer

The foot pedal is part of the cabinet.  I haven't looked to see how hard it will be to remove all the wiring, etc, from the cabinet.  You can see the foot pedal in this photo.
foot pedal attached to cabinet

This machine came with lots of attachments.  There were even two different zig zag attachments.
buttonholer and 2 different zigzag attachments

It also came with lots of different feet, including 2 different zipper feet (middle, left) one for each side of the zipper.  I've never seen this before.  There is another attachment (bottom, left) that I don't know what it is.


Bobbins, manual, needles and even a shuttle for a long bobbin machine and a top attaching foot (both for other machines) were included.  Some kid had fun coloring inside the manual at some time.
notice the shuttle and foot that do NOT belong to this machine

someone had fun coloring this manual


This machine was serviced back in 2008 (when the previous owner died) and hasn't been used since.  It's a little gummy (old oil) but I plugged it in and it stitches well. 
nice stitches

Something interesting about the finish on this machine.  There is lots of crazing on this machine.  Most of my machines have very little crazing, even the older machines.  This machine is covered in crazing (and the usual pin rash on the arm).
crazing on the bed

crazing on the top of the machine

common pin rash

It does have great decals.
great decals


I could make this machine a hand crank, but if I remove this type of motor, I'll lose the bobbin winder.  I'd also have to change out the solid hand wheel for a spoked hand wheel.  I think this machine will stay electric.
motor attachment and solid hand wheel

The only stitching I've been getting done is some hand work, and that has only been about an hour a day.  I really need to finish what I've been working on, since they are Christmas presents.  I have a few other things that I need to get finished quickly, too.  Hopefully I'll have something to show here, soon.

I also had to deal with lots of spam comments since my last blog post (over 50 in 2 hours).  Sorry, but I had to change my comment approval because of the spam.  Hopefully I'll be able to change it back one day.  I'm tired of spammers.  I wish they would all just go away.



20 comments:

  1. I too had to change my comments to be approved a while ago. Yes I'm tired of spammers as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Yahoo decisions are creating lots of hysteria... in groups. I'm kind of done with the whole group thing, especially the ones with 'controlling admins'. That machine is beautiful! Could the crazing be from where it has been stored, a garage or attic, where the temperatures have cause the metal to expand and contract with the heat/cold?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great machine....I love the cabinet and hope you can find it a home spot. I am with you on the spammers and group changes....stress inducing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the first time I see the pedal attached to the cabinet. It's a great idea as I have to stop and place my pedal a few times during a sewing session. It's a lovely machine and I find it so hard to say no to a "new" machine. Enjoy your new friend. ;^)
    P.S. You and I, sister, against spammers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the machine & cabinet. I've only seen a few cabinets with the foot pedal built in. Is the machine a 201? What's the age? Fun seeing all the attachments. Spam is no fun! Happy Stitching

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear ya about the spammers! It's so frustrating because I'm sure Blogger could make it so that once we mark a blog as spam, we never receive further comments from that blog. But they don't fix it so all the bloggers have to find ways to deal with the nuisance.
    I love this new old machine! I didn't know the word "crazing" before so I learned something new today:) And I have never seen a foot pedal installed into a cabinet like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that you are back to blogging. Nice "new" machine. Love the cabinet.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. My blog is behind also. Today I used my handcrank with my granddaughter, so I am over the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to hear from you! I've never seen a foot pedal as part of the cabinet or two zipper feet! I find that one attachment intriguing - if you figure out what it is, let us know. ~Jeannd

    ReplyDelete
  10. If only those old machines could tell their stories. It's so interesting to see how this machine has been loved and used a lot. Probably a little one had a bit of fun with "colouring" in the manual while his or her mum was busy sewing. Nice to see you here again. I've been neglecting my blog really badly too, actually much worst than you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great vintage SM! I have an electric Model 15 and I love the fact it can sew through just about anything!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a desk like yours, but not with the built in foot peddle. That's the first time I have seen one like that! What a fun find!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't get them too often ... I did change it so comments were moderated after three days or so -- that cut out the bulk of the spamming (especially since I'm such a sporadic poster of late). It's really a shame about yahoo -- I've got several groups that were instrumental in my embroidery journey that I'm going to struggle with losing. I wish there was a better way to transfer information/files to another platform. Your new machine is pretty!! How does pin rash happen? There were a LOT of feet and other notions that came with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to hear from you again too! It must be 'catch up on blog' month LOL...I just did two blog posts on mine and have another one ready to go. Finally had a chance to sit down and come to.

    Those two feet that look like zipper feet are 'cording' feet :-). They work great and I'm sure could be used for zippers. I actually use the original presser foot for zippers on that model 15 machine because it has a 1/8" narrow side to the foot. The bottom left attachment is a wide hemmer. There should be instructions for that one in the manual. That cabinet is great with all the storage and big sewing surface! And, the model 15's are great machines!! I have the same theory about the crazing as someone else that commented...machine may have sat in too hot or too cold storage or both? Many 15's have that on the finish...."heritage marks" :-).

    ReplyDelete
  15. That came with lots of parts! No idea what that one is--it's so rare that I do regular (non-quilt) sewing anymore that I couldn't even guess.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my, I can hardly believe that 1950 is considered vintage. I really like the cabinet but never would have that kind of room, even for one machine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Am a little confused, was this a hand crank that got converted to electric? Given the date I wondered. It looks like it's in pretty good shape given that you have all the pieces parts and the manual. I keep thinking I'll do something with the treadle one I have here in my office, but somehow time always seems fleeting. I don't remember if I'm a no reply, probably am; as back when I started blogging that was always the suggestion so folks would visit your blogs and leave info there vs sending you an email. Never did the google plus, so thankfully don't have to change that back. I think people really had some issues with that format that just didn't last. Remind me how to tell if I am a no reply, I don't remember. Sure wish you lived close, you're so knowledgeable about these older machines would love you to see mine. I've noticed several people lately have mentioned they've switched to approving comments. A while back I had a flurry of foreign language comments, but after reporting them as spam and deleting them several times in a row...knock on wood, that seemed to take of the issue. Good luck with yours.

    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for your help on the reply no reply. Leaving you a test message.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pretty machine. The one machine I have with a lot of crazing was stored in the furnace room of a homeowner for over 50 years.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).