Saturday, November 30, 2019

Thanksgiving and Stitching, etc.

I hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving.  It was just hubby, our oldest son and me for Thanksgiving.  We still ate well.
our Thanksgiving feast

I've been busy stitching even though I don't have much to show to prove it.

The ladies ministry at church hosts an ornament exchange each December.  The lady in charge of decorating decided that we needed matching table runners as part of the decorations for the tables and I was drafted to make them.  She provided the white fabric with the gold ornaments, another lady provided the batting and I provided the red with silver snowflakes fabric for the reverse side.  Thank goodness she just wanted solid fabric on each side.  I did some simple stitching with my walking foot.  Here are the six finished table runners (showing both sides).
red on one side and white on the other side

A special friend offered to quilt both of the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings quilts for me.  I made labels for both quilts, including a separate label that lists the names of the blocks, in order, including the 'extra' block on the back of each quilt.  Both of these quilts have the binding stitched to the front of the quilts.  Now I just need to stitch the labels onto the back along with the binding.
both quilts with the labels listing the blocks

I finished almost all of the hand stitching for the board games (no photos, sorry).  Now to finish the last parts by machine, then stitch the parts together. 

I'm also doing some hand quilting on the 2nd Fat Cats quilt.  I made both quilt tops back in 2011.  A friend asked me to make one for her, and I finished that quilt in 2011.  The 2nd quilt top was made when I made the first quilt top, but I never finished it.  It will be finished before Christmas and gifted. 
Fat Cats quilt (being hand quilted)

Back in September I found a roll top desk at Goodwill.  The roll top desk is MUCH larger than the computer desk that I'd been using for the past 20 years.  We had to take everything out of the computer room and completely re-arrange everything to make it fit.  It took longer than expected to re-organize everything (one of the reasons I haven't had much stitching to show since early September).  I took everything off the walls (mainly hubby's ball cap collection) and we've finally hung some of my quilts in the computer room.  I still have space for a couple more wall hangings.

roll top desk with barn quilt and String Star above it

Elephant quilt to the right

Crazy quilt by the printers

Hubby also hung my wooden scissors above the door frame.  You can see our Christmas tree (lights but no ornaments yet) and our Alaskan Malamute, Ratchet.
wooden scissors

Now to get back to stitching!

13 comments:

  1. Looks like you are trying to get on top of things. Love the desk. Lots of beautiful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your Goodwill find (and finally getting things hung on the walls of the rearranged space!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool to finish a quit that has been waiting for you. Reorganizing room always takes longer than you expect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been busy girl! We know you are not sitting around idle for sure:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a nice vintage desk. That takes me back in time to one I left behind when I came to Japan. Well, I wouldn't have room for it anyway. Even when life gets in the way, you manage to get a lot done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Niiiice desk! Love seeing you on my reader list.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great desk! Did you have to do any repair work on it? What a great find! We had a small Thanksgiving, too. Just my daughter and her little family and my son. I like quiet celebrations. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. your room looks great it takes time to rearrange a room and also makes a mess in the process. I am dong some of this too. Plus brought a lot of stuff from MIL house to my that needs to go through got help today to haul it downstairs out of the way so that I can start getting ready for Xmas. deal with it later.
    making the pillowcases for Xmas all 19 to 20 of them have 1 left to make then embroider names on them. 1 tree up and 1 to go. few more customer quilts to quilts and finish couple other Xmas gifts. I host Xmas for our family doing it on the 21st. and 22nd. what you got done looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to have it all done for the holidays! How nice to get those two quilts quilted up, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have been busy with other stuff!!! The meal looks perfect. I was in your neck of the woods, well closer anyway, over the holiday. Took the drive to Shipshe, as I do whenever I am up in the South Bend area, for Black Friday. Not nearly as hectic or expensive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Thanksgiving table looks inviting and festive and filled with yummy food! Your new desk is amazing! I loved the little tour of your wall hangings. The wooden scissors are particularly cool! Your matching runners are marvelous -- that was team work!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on getting your LotR quilts done! Remember we talked about doing one HP block a week in Jan.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).