Monday, December 23, 2019

Some finishes and some Apps

Wow, I haven't posted in almost a month.  I have been busy these past few weeks. 

First, I gave up trying to finish the board game quilts for this year's Christmas presents.  There was too much hand work, and I never would have gotten them finished in time.  Too much stress.  I'll finish them in the next few months, and they will be ready for next year instead. 

I am still working on one last Christmas present, but it should be finished either today or Christmas eve.  I'll show it when it's done.

I did get 2 quilts finished!  Both of the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings quilts are done. 


Smaller LOTR/The Hobbit quilt

I made labels for both quilts, telling what the blocks are.
label

The last block on the label is for the 13th block, which is on the back of each quilt.  Don't worry, 13 is a lucky number for our family.
13th block on the back of the quilt

This quilt is now in Alaska with my grandson (who it was made for).

I also finished the larger LOTR/The Hobbit quilt.  This quilt will stay with me for a while, so that I can put it in my quilt guild's quilt show in March 2020.
Larger (2nd) LOTR/The Hobbit quilt

I made some fabric books for my grandkids.  These were fun to make. 




I wanted to share a couple of phone apps with you.  The first one I found out about earlier this morning.  As you know, I collect vintage sewing machines.  I'm always finding machines in thrift stores, etc, but can't check any info on them until I get home, and check my serial number book.  Well, a gentleman made an app using the Singer serial numbers.  If you enter the serial number, his app will tell you what model the machine is, what year, and how many machines of that model were made in that serial number run.  It does NOT tell you where the machine was made, but I have that info in my book at home.  I know I'll use this app a lot.  This app can be found in your Google Play app store.

The second app is one that you may know about already.  The Robert Kaufman Quilting Calculator app.  I use this app all of the time.  It's a great way to figure out how much binding you need.  It also tells you how much fabric you need for a batting/backing. Pieces to yardage, border yardage, square in a square, set-in corner triangles, etc.  This app can be found in almost any of your phone's app stores.

Merry Christmas to Everyone! 


12 comments:

  1. Great finishes! Glad you decided to take the less stress attitude about finishing projects for next year.
    Enjoy your Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to you, too, Dear Cheryl.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilts and I love that the label tells the blocks. Nice! The grands will love the books. Hope it's about time to sit down and enjoy some quiet time. Merry Christmas! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finishes, love your lotr quilts, and the fabric books are sweet. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on getting those quilts done! Downsizing your project list is often a smart option. Smart thinking with all of the quilty gifts you had on the go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Apps look intriging... especially the Vintage Machine one. I saw a Red Eye the other day. Did not buy it! Too much to do now as it is. Congrats on the finishes and the new finish plans. You WILL be saner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cloth books are adorable! I am sure you'll use the vintage machine app a lot;) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas and happy new year. I know I need to post but been too busy and needed to gift things firs . Thanks for app info

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, an app for Christmas! I am terrible at math so that one might be handy to have. Love your finishes and wish you much happiness for the holidays and coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilts look great and it will be so nice to have those others made up for next Christmas. Good call. Will give the Kaufman app a look! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).