Saturday, February 10, 2024

February Stitching So Far

I keep meaning to post, but then things happen, and I don't post. I need to get better at posting.  Since I haven't posted in a few weeks, I have lots to show today.

First up, I've finished Clue #7 on the Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilt.  Here are all the Clue #7 blocks.

stack of Clue #7 blocks


In my little quilt guild this year, we are teaching the history of different quilt blocks.  We have 3 different ladies each month that teach 3 different quilt blocks.  Last month I did Churn Dash. For February I chose the Storm at Sea quilt block.
Storm at Sea

I've been wanting to make a Storm at Sea quilt for a long time.  I used Christmas money to buy the Storm at Sea die from Accuquilt.  I printed out Accuquilts From Sea to Shining Sea pattern (free).  Accuquilt has several different Storm at Sea patterns available.  It took hours to cut out all the pieces!  I can't imagine how long it would have taken to cut this quilt out using rulers or templates.  The die is well worth the money (I got it on a BOGO sale).  Here is my quilt top.

Somehow I got 2 blocks turned wrong, so I'll have to rip them out and fix them before I get this quilted.  Oh well.  I will say that Accuquilts pattern is easy to follow, and I would make this again.  Hubby loves this quilt and said that we have to keep it.

My little quilt guild is starting a Round Robin challenge.  The first group started at the February meeting.  Since the first group is very small, I went ahead and added the first border to my center block.  I found the center pattern at a quilt shop in Rockford back in November, when I met up with a friends.

Wego Quiltin' Round Robin block

I've started on my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks the month.  Red is the color for February (my favorite color).  I've sewn strips and sub-cut them for TONS of 3 1/2" 9 patch blocks (I'll be sewing these long past February) and I've finished the 4 Flying Churn Dash blocks. It's hard to tell in the photo, but I used 2 different reds for these blocks.  One was very scrappy, since I used the tiny amount of red left over from my Bonnie Hunter Mystery.  The other red is mostly leftover from cutting out my Storm at Sea quilt on my Accuquilt.

Flying Churn Dash

My birthday was earlier this month.  I got some quilting themed presents from a friend and from my Secret Sister at church.  I've already used some of these things.  I'll be using the seam ripper to fix my Storm at Sea quilt top. The neck light is very useful!  



I managed to get another 50 Ohmigosh! 9 patch blocks made.  I'm still a long way away from getting these finished.  I'm using them as Leaders and Enders, but the RSC blocks have become my Leaders and Enders now, so there will be fewer OMG! blocks for a while.  


8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - you do have a lot going on!! BH blocks are lovely!! but your storm at sea quilt - wow - that is a stunner!!!
    Love your RSC blocks for this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! I really like your blocks for Bonnie’s mystery quilt and I love your Storm at Sea quilt! It is awesome! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting the Flying Churn Dash block's unfinished size. You mentioned that there was no pattern because it came out of your head :-) So I thought, if she can do it so can I. I did, and 2 of my friends and I are doing it together as our "challenge" of the year. I am totally surprised that they agreed to it because of the small pieces. Live and learn I guess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. blogger didn't send me your comment, so I can't reply privately. I'm glad you could draft the Flying Churn Dash block. It's fun to make, despite the tiny pieces. Paper piecing that part is the way to go. I made all 4 blocks at the same time (chain piecing). Much faster that way. I'd love to see your blocks sometime.

      Delete
  4. You do have a lot of interesting projects going on! Quite a haul you received for your BD!! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! I love your Storm at Sea quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Testing to see if comments come thru properly now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your storm at sea. I have looked at that die. Love your one quilt it would be an awesome quilt of valor. Happy Belated birthday. I am finally getting some sewing mojo back. I have been picking up UFOs and working on them. I am stuck, I am running out of fabrics and am on step 5 of 7 for a scrappy panel type quilt. So I am stash shopping, going to cut out all the parts for the last 3 steps now, but I even ran out of background fabric. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).