Saturday, January 27, 2024

Rainbow Scrap Challenge and Other Stuff

Wow, I haven't blogged since January 4th.  I've meant to, but I've been really busy, sorry.

First, I'm making 2 different blocks for the 2024 Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  One block I designed myself after seeing a similar block in Pinterest that I couldn't find a pattern for.  I was looking for different Churn Dash blocks, to teach the quilt block history of the Churn Dash block for my little quilt guild January 8th.  Did you know that there are at least 21 different names/variations of the Churn Dash block?  I listed all 21 names that I found, and showed several of the variations to my quilt guild.  This is the pattern that I drafted and made.  I call it the Flying Churn Dash.  It makes a 9 inch block.  

Flying Churn Dash for RSC24

I'm also making mini 9 patch blocks so that I can make a Jacks Chain quilt. The pattern from Quilter's Cache only has one block for the quilt.  There are two blocks needed, so I'll have to draft the 2nd block myself when it is time to put all the blocks together.  I made 45 green blocks for the January RSC24.  These 9 patch blocks are 3 1/2".  I made them using the Leaders & Enders method, and cut the strips with my new 1 1/2" Accuquilt strip die.  Sew much quicker to cut strips and sew them together, than to cut out each square (like the directions say to do). 






I have photos of the wedding couple with their new quilt.  They loved the quilt, as did both families.



the happy couple (and me) with their new quilt


While I was in Albuquerque, I dropped off 7 quilt tops (along with backing and binding fabric) to be quilted by another Treadle On member.  Jennifer has a long arm, and volunteered to quilt some of Marilyn's quilts for charity.  Marilyn was my good friend and quilting buddy that died in August. I still have quilt tops of Marilyn's that need to be quilted for charity. 

I met Jennifer at The Quilt Works quilt shop in Albuquerque.  Great shop!  I didn't have much time (wedding stuff to get done), so I only got to look at a tiny portion of the shop.  I checked out the white on whites (can never have too much background fabrics) and their sale room.  I could have spent and hour or more in that shop.  As it was, I came away with 7 different fabrics (4 backgrounds, 3 greens for the RSC, and a batik background).

cute bags that they use


The Quilt Works had a great balloon quilt on display.  Albuquerque has a balloon festival every year.  I asked if I could take photos and put them on my blog.  This is a pieced quilt, not a panel.  Wow!


I have done more on my Bonnie Hunter Mystery clues, too.  I've finished clue #6, #7 & #8, along with more of clue #3 (that she miscounted units for).  I have not started putting all the parts into blocks yet.

clue #6

clue #7

clue #8

more clue #3

I have a Zoom sew-in this weekend with my Treadle On group, and I'll be working on sewing these units into quilt blocks.

I've been trying to find a headboard that I liked for our king size bed for 2 years.  I really wanted one similar to the headboard we have on our queen size bed (now in the guest bedroom).  Surprise!  One came up on Freecycle, and we picked it up the day we flew home from the wedding.  This headboard is very similar to our old headboard in shape/style. What a difference a headboard makes in a room.  The wood is the same color as my bedroom set.  I love Freecycle!

bed with new (to me) headboard

I drove a friend to the doctor earlier this month, and he lives close to one of my favorite thrift shops.  Of course I had to see if they had anything new.  I found some thimbles.  I'd seen (and have) a thimble like the 'Medieval' thimble.  It was sew cute in it's box (and it still had the original price tag in British pounds).


I also found these 2 thimbles.  I really like the firetruck thimble!  I passed up several dozen other thimbles (mostly from 'places').

firetruck thimble

Disney thimble

I've been working on a Storm at Sea quilt.  I don't have any photos (yet), but I've made all 56 blocks, and the 8 rows are stitched.  I just need to sew the rows together.  This one takes more time since the instructions say to iron the seams open (boy does that take lots of time).  I'll be teaching the block history for the Storm at Sea block at my February quilt guild meeting. I need to find out more information about this block (history).  


What are you working on???  As soon as I get caught up with my blog reading, I tend to fall behind again.  I'm almost a week behind again.  Oops! 


11 comments:

  1. The Flying Churn Dash blocks are fabulous!! How clever to add those geese into the sides. I knew there were a few different names for this block but didn't realize there were so many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been busy! Love the wedding quilt. Your Flying Churn Dash intrigues me. It is so neat!!! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Flying Churn Dash blocks look great, arent you clever to design this variation. The young couple look so happy with their wedding quilt, you can be so proud of this wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your version of the flying churn dash! How fun is that block.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love your flying churn dash, Cheryl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's wonderful that you are spending the time to get some of Marilyn's quilts finished up. Her legacy lives on through all of you working on her unfinished quilts. I've never heard of Freecycle. That headboard looks fantastic and that quilt just sparkles on the bed now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your flying churn dash is marvelous! What a great variation! I'm tickled pink that you are having your friend's quilt tops finished instead of having them languish in a box. They deserve to be quilted and used.
    I'm working on a kit my husband saw when we visited Bear Creek Quilting, not realizing that they have all but closed their retail site. I'm piecing it totally on my 1900 Jones hand crank and having a ball with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are no-reply :(. Have fun with your Jones handcrank. I got Marilyn's Bradbury Soeze hand crank. I need to get more of Marilyn's quilt tops quilted for charity. Time to start asking her other guilds (she was in 5 guilds) for help with the quilting.

      Delete
  8. Wow! What a cool block you chose for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, Cheryl!! Glad you were able to get a photo of the quilt with the bridal couple. That can sometimes be a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am very drawn to your flying churn dashes!!!
    And wow - you have been crazy busy - no wonder you didn't have time to stop and blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your churndash quilt is fabulous! Looks like you are keeping busy. How did life get so crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).