Tuesday, January 2, 2024

2023 in Review

I don't have as much to show this year, since I was traveling 90 days between January and July of 2023.  I did manage to get some things done in 2023.

In January, I was part of the Villa Rosa Blog Hop.  I made Tink using one of Villa Rosa's patterns.

Tink for the Villa Rosa Blog Hop

I also finally finished the hand quilting for my Covid Toilet Paper Shortage quilt.  It met the requirements for my large quilt guild's challenge for our quilt show.  I got 3rd place in the challenge category.

3rd place winner

I got a new granddaughter in January.  I made her 2 quilts.  Emmalynn's Compass won 3rd place at my guilds quilt show in the small quilt category. 


Emmalynn on her quilt


Emmalynn on her quilt

I also finally finished the binding on the Family Reunion quilt.  You can't see it in the photo, but the white 'X' blocks are signed by family members. We auction off a quilt to raise funds for future reunions.

String Crossroads, family reunion quilt

My daughter-in-law loves the Pioneer Woman colors and items.  I made her some drying mats and decorated towels and wash cloths for her kitchen.

drying mats

decorated towels and wash cloths

Every year at the Missouri TOGA, we make a raffle quilt.  Since I'm not there during the year to help put all the blocks together, I made part of the backing for the next raffle quilt.  Our theme was Sewing Notions, so the part I made is the center of a spool of thread block.  I made the 'thread' by making a Jelly Roll race quilt.

Joann showing the quilt back and the pattern that will be used to finish the backing (roll of thread)

I participate in several exchanges each year with my Treadle On group (people powered sewing machines).  One of our exchanges this year was for a sewing machine cover.  This is the one I made.

front

back with pockets & little scissors pocket

My oldest granddaughter was given 13 fat quarters at a quilt shop in Anchorage last February.  I told her I'd make something with those fat quarters.  I made 16 Turkey placemats (12 for them, 4 for me).

16 placemats

My friend Marilyn died in August.  While cleaning out her sewing room, I found a Hanukkah embroidery.  I made a wall quilt for her husband.


Since it was such a crazy year, I decided to make pillowcases for the grandkids and other for Christmas this year (easier than shopping and shipping).  My grandkids were funny on Christmas day, when they opened their presents.  My daughter-in-law put the youngest inside her pillowcase, then the older kids jumped into their pillowcases and had a sack race with them.  Cute! (video calls are the BEST!)

pillowcases

pillowcases

I made a Tote bag for the Holiday exchange with my little quilt guild.  



I may not have finished many quilts or projects in 2023, but I did make lots of blocks.


I started making some of the Women of the Bible blocks (I have LOTS left to do).

Esther

Mary

Elizabeth

The Samaritan Woman

My Treadle On group had a block of the month.  I only got 2 of the blocks made.

January

February

I also participated in the Batik Stars exchange with my Treadle On group.  I made 4 sets of blocks.





I finished up the blocks for the Angels Among Us quilt.  These were my hand work projects while I was traveling.

August

September

October

November

December

The Missouri TOGA (Treadle On Gathering & Academy) has a raffle quilt each year.  The theme for the 2024 quilt is Sewing Notions.  I made blocks for them and also some blocks for me.  Out of the 25 blocks I made, they got 12 blocks for the next quilt (and the Jelly Roll race for the spool of thread backing).












I participated in the Friendship Star block exchange with my Treadle On group.  Here are the blocks I made for that exchange.  I'm showing them with the machine that they were made on.  4 sets of blocks on 4 different hand crank sewing machines.

1921 Singer 66

1921 Singer 128

1914 Singer 66

made on the 1914 Singer 66

1927 Singer 15

I started making the Ohmigosh!  quilt as a leaders and enders quilt in 2022.  I finished over 200 tiny 9 patch blocks this year.  I have a long way to go!

150 blocks

50 blocks


I also started Bonnie Hunter's Mystery this year.  These are the blocks I finished in 2023.

clue #1

clue #2

clue #3

clue #3

clue #4

clue #4

clue #5

clue #5

clue #5

I don't count how much fabric comes in or goes out (WAY too much coming in).  I did get some big goodies this year.  For my 60th birthday, I bought myself a used Accuquilt Studio 2 cutter.  I've collected several dies over the year, including for Christmas this year.


I was good in the sewing machine department in 2023.  I did sell one machine, and gave away another machine.  I only acquired 3 machines this year.  Two of these machines are special to me because of who I got them from.

1948 Singer 15 from Captain Dick (he started Treadle On)

approx. 1905 Bradbury Soeze hand crank from my friend Marilyn, who died in August

1934 Singer 15k hand crank, came over from Holland and has an original hand crank (vs. a reproduction hand crank)

I taught a few classes this year at both my little quilt guild and also at the Missouri TOGA.

I taught how to make a ruler bag at the Missouri TOGA.

me with both of my ruler bags

I also taught how to make project boards at both the TOGA and for my little quilt guild.

teaching how to make project boards

I also taught curved piecing at my little quilt guild.  These are some of the blocks I used for the demonstration.  


Not too bad for being out of state so many days in 2023.  I do have my first finish for 2024, but I need photos of it.

5 comments:

  1. It was still a very productive year even though you traveled so much! Your granddaughter's compass quilt is a favorite of mine! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each picture is a delight! What wonderful and special machines you have. I could drool over the one from Captain Dick. My goal is to make 2024 the year of "sewing slowly." I want to use each of the many hand crank and treadle machines, as well as some vintage electric machine I have. Your pictures are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are still no-reply, so I don't know who you are :(. I sew mostly on a hand crank, some on a Featherweight, but do what little quilting I do (straight line quilting) on a semi-modern electric. I really need to downsize my machines so that I can get to the ones I want to use.

      Delete
  3. Wow! I would say you have had a very productive and busy year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For not getting a lot done in 2023, you sure got A LOT done!!! I enjoyed your recap!!! Love the photos with Emmalynn!!! Your story about the Christmas pillowcase gifts and the video call made me smile--I can just imagine it!!! I enjoyed seeing all the sewing related blocks, and photos of your machines, too!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).