Thursday, July 21, 2016

Two tops completed

Two years ago, I made some signature blocks for my family reunion.  I made two sets, so that I'd have a matching quilt.  The quilt will be used to raise funds to cover future family reunions.  I had everyone sign two blocks (one was for my quilt).  I got several of the blocks stitched together at the last reunion, but, I set it all aside when I got home.  Well, the next reunion is this October.  Time to pull all those blocks out, and get some quilts finished.  Hubby knows me well, so, he told me that I can't finish the quilt for the family reunion unless I also finish mine at the same time.  Well, I finally pulled out the blocks to get the tops finished.  I finished both quilts yesterday.
both quilt tops

one of the quilt tops, up close
 The last reunion was our 30th anniversary of the first family reunion.  I added some info in the top block.
sorry, hard to read since I photographed it outside.
 My father started this family reunion, at the request of my grandfather.  My father ran the reunion for many years, until his Alzheimers forced him to pass it on to other family members.  I've been at every reunion, except one.  The one was the year I got married, and, I went on my honeymoon instead (only 2 weeks apart).  

Now the big decision.   I don't free motion quilt, I can just straight line quilt.   Originally, I was going to quilt these tops, but, now I'm thinking about having them quilted.  Hmmmm......

 

12 comments:

  1. Oh - love them. Treat yourself and have them quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them! What a great idea to make two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was quite an accomplishment. Indulge yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha.. I like how your husband thinks. I guess it would be easy to straight line quilt your quilts if you have a walking foot. How lovely to have family reunions for so many years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these! Straight line quilting or FMQ - either will work great. Maybe you should just ask yourself if you want to do the stitching or not. The signatures are the important part here, not the quilting. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Straight line quilt the one for the reunion and have the one you are keeping quilted for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree the quilts are about the signatures rather than the quilting.
    Our family reunion is every three years and I didn't make it this year. My sister made a quilt years back with both signatures and photographs. I think my father won it but have no idea who has it now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, congrats on getting them both done. I think the quilting comes down to time, I would straight line quilt them since I wouldn't want any quilting over the signatures, but do you have the time, remember your's first :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such nice finishes! And well before the October deadline, too!!! I think whatever you choose for quilting will be appreciated, as they are very special family memories. Can't wait to see them done!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a good idea to raise some funds. Your cheery quilt with signatures should raise a bunch of $$$.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. What cheerful and meaningful quilts! Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea for a reunion! This design totally lends itself to straight line quilting... you can do this!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).