Friday, June 22, 2012

In progress, and 'What a Find'!

Well, I've been working on a secret project.  I'll be able to show you the whole thing next month, but, until then, I can give you a 'sneak peak' of part of it.
embroidery mini quilt (covered with a doily to keep it a surprise)

backing of mini quilt
The embroidery pattern is from Jenny of ELEFANTZ.  I asked her permission to use her block, but, with different words in the middle.  I also made the block square, to fit my project.  Jenny is doing a BOM embroidery quilt.  Such cute designs she has. 

I just need to sew the hanging sleeve on the back, then put the mini quilt together and quilt it.  I made this quilt on my 1959 Singer Spartan hand crank.  I'll finish it on my Janome, since I'll need the walking foot to finish this quilt. 

I've also been working on another graduation quilt.  This young lady's nickname is 'Skittles', like the candy.  I found the perfect fabric for her quilt.  This quilt is just a wall hanging for her dorm room.
Caitlyn's wall hanging

love the 'candy' fabric
I'll just stitch in the ditch on this quilt with my Janome.  I also made this quilt top on my 1959 Singer Spartan hand crank.  Can you tell that my Spartan is my favorite machine at the moment? 

I decided to stop at a thrift store yesterday, while I was running errands.  It was warm and rainy, so, garage sales were out.  Boy, did I snag a great find!  I saw batting sticking out of material, and grabbed it.  It was a (mostly done) hand quilted Christmas tree skirt.  Whomever made it, had already done the hand quilting in the middle, and in some of the blocks, too. 

Christmas tree skirt, mostly done

hand appliqued, and partly hand quilted block






look at the embroidery in the center of the flower. 


stitches on the back of the heart block

price tag, can you believe it?

center with backing folded over
The colors are much better in real life.  My camera doesn't keep colors 'pure'.  Sorry.  This will be a fun project to finish next fall. 

I also scored a few other finds.  This little zippered pouch is handmade from Bolivia.  I took pictures of both sides.  I'll use this to store scissors, seam rippers and such for one of my vintage machines. 


I also found this cute Mary Engelbreit tin to keep pins in. 

brand new ME tin
Not bad for less than $4.  I didn't even show the other things I bought. 

Now to finally get to some sewing....  Hopefully I'll have some 'finishes' to show you soon!  Have a Great Weekend!


9 comments:

  1. Great finds at the thrift store Cheryl. That tree skirt will be great when you finish it. I love finding things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are awesome find! The skirt is beautiful and I LOVE that little pouch. So unique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your block is so intriguing. It looks beautiful even with the doilie in the middle!
    Your Christmas find is fantastic!!!
    I'm in Texas and believe me, you are better off this summer where you are! The temperatures have been really high since May! (At least in South Texas.) Now, ask me again in the winter when we are basking in 60's and 70's and you have snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your work is beautiful! Visiting from Sew Many Ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely block - nice embroidery stitching too, looking forward to the reveal next month =)
    Fantastic find on the Xmas tree quilt and love that zippered pouch too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Christmas tree skirt! I've been planning to make one since about, oh, 1980 or so!

    Looking forward to the big "reveal" on the mini quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic find on the Christmas tree skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt-y "starts", and oh you lucky girl - such great thrift finds! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are great projects, Cheryl. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).