Sunday, September 8, 2019

Catching Up

I had a pin cushion exchange with my Treadle On group.  Here is what I got from Stephanie.
Owl pin cushion and mini pin cushion

needle keeper

needle keeper

zipper bag

Thanks Stephanie for the lovely goodies.  I've used the Owl pin cushion several times already.

I finished both of the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings quilt tops.  These are for our new grandson, Korin.  The first one is HUGE for a baby quilt (54"x72").  Korin will get to use it on his big boy bed one day.
Lord of the Rings/ The Hobbit quilt top

I'd already made the sashings for both quilts, but, since the first quilt was so large, I decided to cut the sashings down.  The second quilt finishes at 44x59.  Perfect for another wall hanging for the babies room.
2nd top with thinner sashing

This photo shows the difference in sizes (one top on top of the other top).
both quilt tops

I have no clue when these will be quilted, since they really need to be long arm quilted.  I can't free motion quilt, and I don't think straight line quilting will look very good on either of these tops. 

With all the flip corner sashings on both of these quilts, I ended up with a stack of 96 bonus half square triangles.  I'm getting a good sized collection of bonus HST's from different projects.
96 bonus HST's

I did finally finish the 3 baby quilts I designed back in June.  A friend asked me to make a baby quilt for her niece, who was having a baby girl.  It has pink minkee on the back.
first baby quilt

The second quilt is for a young lady who used to be in our Venturing Crew several years ago.  She just had a baby girl.  I decided to use faux piping binding for her quilt, and made the piping larger than I normally do.  I love how it turned out. I just taught this technique (again) to my little quilt guild. (I promise the pink isn't nearly as bright as the photo shows).
2nd baby quilt

faux piping binding with larger flange

The last quilt is for our grandbaby, Korin.  Since his Hobbit/LOTR quilt will be a wall hanging (at least the smaller one will), he needs something that can be thrown on the floor and used.  I added his name to the edge of the binding.
Korin's quilt

Korin Josiah


I decided that Korin needed a satin/flannel blanket, since his big sister has one.   I made two of them.  Korin will get the Spiderman blanket and the 2nd one (Winnie the Pooh) will be used as a baby gift in the future. 
satin/flannel blankets


Way back on August 20th (the day Korin was born), I finished the last of the Vintage Miniature Sewing Machine blocks. 
Muller 15 toy sewing  machine

I'm really missing my embroidery each day. 


A friend gave me a lovely vintage quilt top a couple of weeks ago.  I don't know what the block is called.  If you do, please let me know.  The top is in great shape.
top Carrie gave me

I'm sorry I haven't commented on any of your blogs.  I'm almost a month behind on my blog reading.  I've been really busy, and will stay that way until October.  Our oldest son will be coming home from Alaska (where he has spent the summer with his younger brother, his wife and our grandkids).  Our inlaws are coming for a visit (yipee) and I also have another Lyon's Farm Fall Festival coming up (booth/demo of vintage sewing machines).

If  you are near the western suburbs of Chicago, come visit me at the Lyon's Farm Festival the last weekend of Sept.  Info at this link.




9 comments:

  1. You are so busy that you are making me tired! I really love those baby quilts. I hope things slow down for you in October - you need a rest! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to show such wonderful quilts and projects. Don't get too busy and miss the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you get the words about Comments under the comment area so people will realize they need to leave an email address or mail you? I cannot figure out where to place it on the layout page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only baby quilt made for grandkids that was remotely small was the first one. The rest were all single bed size that they could use until they get their "big boy" quilts. Next in line will be a big girl one. Somehow I can't imagine sticking pins into that cute owl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your baby quilts and the Hobbit quilts turned out super too. It will be some time before the new grand baby will use a big boy bed though, so you can take your time with the quilting ;)! It seems you are as busy as ever with all your projects and visitors. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you have got a lot accomplished. The LOTR quilts are awesome. I think we all get more accomplished when we stay off the computer. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. You may have been silent but you have been working! Both the HP tops are great and I am sure there is a LA in your area to help you. And now you have lots of company to fill up the days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a busy gal, glad you took time to show us your projects:) I love the pretty blue floor quilt you made for Korin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG!!!! You've been super busy. I love all the quilts, very very cool. Your grandson's name is quite unique. How did they come up with that name? Korin, is he named after someone? You Owl is so cute, looks like you did well in the exchange.
    Traveling Suitcase

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).