Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Wego Quiltin's Annual Tea

My little quilt guild, Wego Quiltin' had it's annual Tea Monday night.  At the very first Tea, back in 2003 (the first ever meeting) they had a Crazy Hat contest.  We decided to wear Crazy Hats to this Tea.  Several of us have been members since that first meeting.

I know I probably have quite a few hats around here, but I decided to make one for the Tea.  So, on Sunday, I made my hat.  I had found a pattern for a bucket hat, and decided to make one.  The directions weren't very clear, but I muddled thru.
stitching the brim pieces
The hat is reversible.  I didn't measure before I made the hat, I just used her pattern pieces.  I also added more top stitching than the pattern calls for.
one side of hat

other side of the hat

me in the hat 
The hat is too big, but it works.  I put my hair in a ponytail for the meeting, so it fit better on Monday.

Here are some of the other hats at the party.
Jo

Marilyn

Janet

Kandy

Kandy

Linda

Jinnie
Since we still can't meet at the church where we usually meet, we met at a park.  The weather was lovely (74 degrees).  Two of us brought all the food (in special containers).  Sorry I didn't get photos of all the Show-N-Tell quilts. 

This guild makes LOTS of things for philanthropy.  Over 130 stockings for soldiers were turned in, along with cool ties (also for soldiers) and walker bags (veterans) and placemats for the local Meals on Wheels.  Several ladies also made matching hearts (two hearts the same) for a NICU unit.  The mother will place one heart inside her shirt (to get her scent on it) while the other heart is placed under the babies head (to get it's scent).  Then the hearts are switched so that both mother and baby can smell each other (helps with bonding).  We will continue making all of these items as long as there is a need.

Earlier on Monday, I finished binding the hand quilted quilt.  I still haven't washed the markings out of it.  Here are some photos of the quilt.  It is a two sided quilt.
front of the quilt

center

back of the quilt

back center


One of our neighbors found a baby squirrel in the street, beside our house.  They put it back by our tree (no nest to be seen anywhere).  They drove back by a little while later, and the baby squirrel was back in the street (the asphalt is warmer than the sidewalk).  Still no mother squirrel to be found. 
baby squirrel
It acts like it might be hurt.  It doesn't like the grass.  Our neighbor talked us into trying to rescue the little thing.  She's tried to get rescue groups to take baby squirrels in the past, and they won't or can't.  I don't know if this one will make it or not, but hopefully it will live thru the night.  It really wanted attention from us.  It came over to me, and let me pet it.  We put it in a cardboard box lined with old wash cloths.  It really liked the pecans we gave it.  It's now in the kitchen for the night. 



Don't worry, it also has a bowl of water, and the cardboard box is in a Rubbermaid storage container with some screening across the top (I don't want a squirrel to get loose in my house).  Hubby will release it back near the tree in the morning.  Hopefully the mother will find it then.  We just don't want an Owl or Hawk to get to it first (or coyote). 


10 comments:

  1. Love your bucket hat. How fun that you got to meet. Our church quilting group is going to finally meet again. We lost one of our leaders recently. I hope I have the day off so that I can attend. Working gets in the way of my quilting. Hope the baby squirrel makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder about that Bucket Hat pattern I bought the first time I went to Mid-Atlantic Quilt Fest. STILL haven't made mine! Your quilter friend certainly had some interesting hats, but I like the one you made best of all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got to meet and it sounds like members have been busy with all of their sewing to give. Love all of the hats. Your hand-quilted quilt is gorgeous! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderfully creative group you have! My group's last meeting scheduled in July was cancelled and it almost seems they have given up. That is a spectacular quilt. Long ago I remember rescuing a baby squirrel. Luckily it was able to return to nature before long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, so sad for the little squirrel... and mama not around. Hope his world rights itself by this morning. Love the hats!!! And your quilt is beautiful!!! Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun group of quilters it seems. Love the theme of tea party with the hats. Your quilt is a beauty....all the details make it special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great hats you look great in yours. hope the squirrel lives our smaller guild gets to meet next Monday for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son adopted a small squirrel and he lived and thrived and my son finally turned in loose. For a long time the squirrel, Harvey, would come greet us when we were near.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute hat. Your group sounds fun and productive

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your hat! Everyone needs a hat for tea! Our guild is also very philanthropic-minded. It's nice to be a part of a group that looks to the needs of others! Your quilt is absolutely stunning, Cheryl ... really beautiful!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).