Wednesday, September 30, 2020

A Finish, a Quilt top and some blocks

 Well, blogger won't let me revert back to the old style format anymore.  Why do all these techy companies seem to think that if it works, it must be changed and made more difficult.  Weren't computers supposed to make things easier for everyone, not harder and more time consuming?  Oh well.


I washed the chalk markings out on the Beyond Borders hand quilted quilt. I washed the quilt three times, treating it with OxiClean.  There are still a few faint color marks left, but I gave up washing it.  




up close of the center panel

up close of the double feathers quilting

chalk marks removed

faint orange chalk marks still there

I also made a quilt top.  It is the Dogs in Sweaters quilt.  My friend Marilyn gave me some plaids, since I didn't have enough in my stash (I don't usually use plaids).






This quilt is at the quilters now.  It's been an adventure.  I bought a backing for it, and washed the backing before I dropped it off at the quilters on Friday.  Well, she contacted yesterday to say that the backing was too small.  The fabric was cut weird because of how it was folded on the bolt, so it was about an inch too short for her to use.  I contacted the quilt shop and they decided to tear the fabric along the grain to prevent this from happening again.  Not only did she tear the fabric, but she washed and dried the fabric (and treated it for loose dye).  My son picked it up and took it to the long arm quilter for me (while I was at work).  Just in case, I bought a longer piece this time.  


I started making blocks for the Harry Potter; Project of Doom quilt way back in February 2013.  I did good at keeping up with the blocks until that May, when my oldest son graduated college.  After the trip to his graduation (and picking up his little brother from college afterwards)  I never started making blocks again (bad me).  I also started embroidering the book titles on the blocks, but stopped that in September that year (I'd messed up, and couldn't figure out how to fix it back then).  Well, I worked on the titles a bit more back last September, but stopped again when I started another hand project.  

I started back on the embroidery a week ago.  I finished two blocks on Friday.


Oops!  I noticed after I took this photo that I missed adding the author's name on one of the blocks.  I added the name (no new photo yet) on Monday.  Now I'm working on the last block that hasn't been embroidered.  

Since I didn't have any new blocks to embroider (I'd only made 2 sets of the first 12 blocks), I started making more blocks (finally).  I'm working on blocks 13, 14 and 15 (two of each).  


If you remember the squirrel we rescued, it made it thru one night, but it didn't make it the 2nd night.  It was so cute, but I think it was hurt too bad from it's fall from the nest.  

Hopefully I'll have another blog post with more finishes soon.  Since all the blogger changes, I just haven't been in the mood to blog much. 



12 comments:

  1. Your finished quilt is gorgeous. Maybe eventually those marks will wash out over time? Oh poor baby squirrel. Good job picking up an old project and working on it. I need to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beyond Borders is beautiful!! but your plaid puppies.... it is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really don't like using the new blogger either. Sorry to hear you still have marks on the quilt after washing. Bummer! Absolutely love the Weiner dogs. Can't wait to see how it is quilted. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your beautiful quilt finish, Cheryl!! Those doxies are TOO cute. SEW glad that the quilt shop worked with you on the backing issue!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard several complaints about Blogger... but FYI... WordPress isn't better, and it is not just different, its way different!!! Good news on getting back to older projects. I am doing the same!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. quilt is great. so for the squirrel it is hard for them to live without mama yes probably got hurt falling. good to starting working on an older project that is what I have been doing. I haven't blogged in awhile so not sure about new format. will have to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, we are stuck it seems with this blogger mess....not happy with it.
    But your quilt finished up nicely and looks good in the photos...even with the faint marks. Your feather quilting is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your finished quilt and your sausage dogs are adorable (especially the one wearing glasses)! But how sad about the baby squirrel but maybe better in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those software guys are never satisfied, always something to be 'improved'. Wordpress is doing the same, forcing us over to a 'new and improved' way, which to me is much more frustrating. They are 'distraction free' which means they took away all my shortcuts. Bah!!!
    Great progress on our quilt, sorry the little squirrel didn't make it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on finishing Beyond Borders - it's lovely!
    And the dachshunds are pretty cute, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so impressed that you hand quilted such a big quilt! It looks great! Glad to see you are back at PoD too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, you seem to be doing better with the new blogger than I am. What an exercise in frustration just to make one flawed post! Can't even move the pictures left or right and if I stop to correct a word, I can't get back to the same place and the sentences are all broken up. I love your finishes. Sorry about problems with markings. I use a white sewline pencil on the dark fabrics and a ChakoAce disappearing marker on lights. That one I remove with a wet paintbrush right after stitching over it. The purple one disappears in time but in humid weather, too quickly. The blue comes out with water.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).