Thursday, September 10, 2020

Happy National Sewing Machine Day!

Happy National Sewing Machine Day!  Sewing machines are so awesome that they get TWO days each year (June 13 & Sept 10).

To celebrate, I found this great sewing machine ornament at Hobby Lobby earlier this week.

I have been doing some sewing.  I finished 19 cool ties for soldiers last night. The ties have a cooling gel in them, that when soaked in water, will keep the soldiers cool.  I used a Chevy car fabric that I had to make the ties. 
cool tie

19 cool ties
And.....

I FINISHED THE HAND QUILTING!!!!!!  254 hours and 43 minutes of hand quilting on this quilt.  It's been raining, so I don't have any photos of the complete quilt yet.  Hopefully tomorrow the sun will come out and I can get my quilt holders to help me take some photos.  Till then, here are a few sneak peeks.







The binding is ready to be sewn onto this quilt.  Hopefully it will be finished by Monday.  I have 2 quilt guild meetings this week (in person, social distancing) and I want to show the quilt off.

I may have a problem.  I used chalk pencils, way back in 2009-10, to mark this quilt (flying geese, stars and pinwheels only) and I'm not sure the chalk will wash out well.  Any suggestions?????  I've tried using an eraser on those marks, but it only dims the marks, not removes them. 


11 comments:

  1. So nice....this one is just great. I would want to show it off too. As for the marks....did you try one of those suede brushes like for clothes/suits? Maybe the nap on it would help remove the chalk. Other wise I would think it needs a wash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Love your quilt and the quilt is awesome! Congrats! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, I love hand quilting and from what I can tell, this is wonderful! I always wash my quilts and chalk has always come out. Good luck! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! What a beautiful quilt -- that's a lot of hand quilting! Congrats on a lovely finish! That's a really cute sewing machine ornament! I'm going to have to look for one for our Christmas party ornament swap!! Happy National Sewing Machine Day back atcha!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on finishing the quilting! Off to see what those cool ties are all about...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great accomplishment to have finished this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!Awesome finish... something to brag about for 2020! As for getting the marks out.. if you don't want to wash and block the quilt. A soft bristle tooth brush and a bit of water or a magic eraser.... Of, course test both in an inconspicuous place first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great quilting. sorry no suggestions on the chalk marking I do not hand quilt. love the ornament.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome quilt and ties.
    You may want to try "Sew Clean" for your chalk problem.
    Bear Thread Designs...All Natural Fabric Spot and Stain Remover..I have a phone number for the company...281-462-0661!
    I used it on a quilt that had pencil marks on it and it did great!! Hope it works for your chalk.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely finish! So nice to see reproduction fabrics and hand quilting - brava!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh goodness, all the time put into that quilt was well-spent! Beautiful! (no idea on the chalk other than washing). Where did you get the "cooling gel" for those ties? I'm interested. And who specifically is asking for them? Are you sending them overseas?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).