Thursday, December 17, 2020

Last Finish of the Year

 I finished my grandson's quilt.  This pattern is Kelli Fannin's Wheel Life.  I call it Hot Wheels.  

Hot Wheels quilt

The fabric I bought for the backing was a few inches narrower than the quilt top.  I needed to widen it.  Beth thought I should add a road to the quilt.  Well,  I didn't want a road running down the middle of the quilt back.  Boring!  I decided to add a road diagonally instead.  Positioning the road so that it lined up the same, top and bottom, took some patience (something I'm not known for according to hubby ; ).  

back of the quilt

The only quilting I do is straight line quilting.  I didn't want lots of quilting.  

up close of the quilting around one of the wheels

I decided to do faux piping binding.  

faux piping binding

All that is left is for me to wash the quilt, then wrap it.  My grandson (and his sister and parents) will be arriving early Saturday morning.  I finished this just in time.  

Here is a funny Christmas photo for you.  This is my dog, in the car our neighbors gave us for the grandkids to use. 


Merry Christmas!

Jesus is the Reason for the Season!



18 comments:

  1. Cute quilt, well done in the close to the wire finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on the grandson's quilt! That is a special one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt is WHEELIE!!!!! wonderful! Kelli is one of my favourite designers. Your grandson is going to have so much fun with this quilt, as I see the backing is just as fabulous as the front. Beautiful work, Gramma! Wishing you and yours a Blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilt and neat backing fabric. It was worth the effort to line the road up as it looks really good. Enjoy your family. I think your dog is ready for them! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. that turned out awesome!! And, I had a good laugh over the dog in the car LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh your grandson will just love this quilt! DH saw the back of your quilt on my computer as I was reading and he said is that a road? If a guy recognizes, I say it is meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a great job on the road and using it in a perfect way!!! Now you can sit back and relax and enjoy the visit. My dogs would dwarf that car!!! but yours looks cute in it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. quilt is great love how you did the back.
    merry Christmas enjoy the grandkids and kids too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt looks great! Glad you will have family for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh your quilt turned out fabulous! Love the back. The pic of your dog in the car is awesome. Enjoy the visit with the grands what a special Christmas for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great finish! I hope it is well-loved and highly snuggled!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute! Especially that backing--I'm sure that took some work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a great quilt. My youngest would have loved it when he was little. I really love the diagonal road on the back! I can forsee lots of little cars on that road!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute quilt and that doggie in the car, too cute. I bet the back gets used the most with some little cars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twyla, you are a no-reply blogger so I can't contact you. Thanks for the comments. Yes, I'm sure the back will be used quite a bit. The cars are already wrapped and under the tree.

      Delete
  15. Love the creative way you extended the backing fabric. After all, who wants to be boring? Now that it's after Christmas, tell us how much he liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Cheryl,

    What a great quilt! Little boys just love cars, and I can imagine your grandson having fun running his cars up and down the road on the back.

    Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks - your quilt is this week's featured project!

    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).