Monday, February 15, 2021

An Oops! and Some Finishes

 I finished up 4 sets of Harry Potter blocks for our soon to be grandbaby on Saturday, but as I was stitching the parts together for the 5th set of blocks.......Oops!  For some unknown reason, I just kept sewing the owl fabric where the background fabric was supposed to go.

Oops!  Too much owl, not enough background

I did mark my patterns to show the background fabric (where the orange highlighter is).

orange marks are supposed to be background fabric

I messed up on 2 different parts of the patterns.  One part was just 2 pieces, and I could fix those, but the part 'A' (shown above) had too many pieces wrong to fix.  I sew these on my 1927 Singer 15 hand crank, and I have the stitches set to tiny.  Tiny stitches are really hard to take out, especially on paper piecing.  Taking out stitches that small also tends to make the paper come apart.

showing tiny stitches

I had to re-print part 'A' for both blocks and re-make them.  When I finished yesterday afternoon, the Oops! blocks looked like this.
Hedwig block

both blocks

Yes, I'm making two of each block.  My grandkids live in Alaska, and I'd really like to show off their quilts in my guild's quilt show (if we can ever have quilt shows again).  I've made 2 of each paper pieced quilt for the first two grandkids, so I have to continue making 2 of each paper pieced quilt for the rest of the grandkids that come along.  The grandkids will eventually get the 2nd quilt, too.

Here are the 4 other sets of blocks that I finished for these quilts.  The photos don't show the true colors, sorry. 
Crystal Ball

both blocks

Potion bottle

both bottles

Harry's glasses

both blocks

Stoppered Vial

both blocks

One good thing came out of the Oops!  I got further along with my RSC blocks for February.  I'm using my RSC blocks as leaders and enders while I paper piece (they are also paper pieced blocks).  

I still have more blocks to finish for these quilts.  

If you are interested in making Harry Potter blocks, you can find them on Fandom in Stitches.  
Disney Princess Castle layout

The Disney Princess Castle layout is what I'm planning on using for the Harry Potter blocks.  I'm trying to figure out if I want to make partial blocks for the side windows of the castle.  I've thought of a few things I can make to fit those windows.  If I make them, then I have to resize the blocks to fit (more math, ugh).  







13 comments:

  1. Bless you, paperpiecing all that. I would never have the patience and endurance to do all that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These blocks are great! I hate when those oops happen especially in paper piecing. Glad you have taken care of them. I think the castle layout will be neat. Is it possible in the side windows to do 1/2 -1/3 of a block instead of resizing? Like just the half with the glasses in the Harry's glasses block. Just a thought. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sure is easier to have an oops moment when piecing by hand. My eldest grandson was a super Harry Potter fan. Luckily he already had a baby quilt by the time he started reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is exactly why I rarely do paper piecing. It is almost impossible to rip out - and it makes me a little bit crazy. (okay fine, crazier!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. your blocks are great thinking of starting a HP quilt for my 12 yr old grandson he loves HP hoping for next Christmas we will see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have definitely been productive. Paper piecing can produce the most marvelous blocks, but can be challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool layout plan for your HP blocks, Cheryl!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the owl block, sorry you had to deal with an oops.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had something else on your mind... other than sewing. Here its been weather!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your patience with paper piecing lead to perfection! Also, the castle is a cool setting idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great fabric for your owl, but man taking out stitches in paper piecing is a pain, easier to just reprint and sew, unless you don't have enough fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, so much more paper-piecing than I could handle! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).