Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Snow Day!

I got a snow day today!  Yipee!  I really needed to work on my granddaughter's 3rd Birthday quilt.  Gwendolynn really loves Emma of the Wiggles (a preschool show).  I found a panel and some fabric late last fall, but hadn't had time to do anything.  Well, her birthday is March 1st.  Yes, I'm running late on this one.  

Using Triangluations, I made the half square triangles as leaders & enders while paper piecing.  Today, I finally got started sewing the HST's together.  I wanted to make pinwheels, since Emma is known for dancing.  


I pulled out Betty Sue, my trusty Featherweight.  I hadn't sewn with Betty Sue since last year.  

Betty Sue

The sewing machine cabinet I use has a large enough opening for most of my vintage machines, but Betty Sue is much smaller than my other machines.  There is a large gap behind the machine.  When I sew, all my blocks fall into that gap.  Not good.  I used some template plastic and some blue tape to fix that problem.


cheap fix for the gap

Hey, whatever works!  

Well, I turned all those HST's into a quilt top.
Wiggles quilt top

up close of some of the pinwheels



I still need to make a backing for this.  I have several more fat quarters of these fabrics.  I had to purchase fat quarters since it was so hard to find any yardage.  I do have a piece of yardage, too, thank goodness.  

Since I don't free motion quilt, only straight line quilt, I'm thinking of using a cross hatch for the quilting.  

I am thankful that we have power.  Several of our relatives in Texas don't have power.  Some don't have water now, either.  Water mains are breaking due to the cold.  Most of Texas doesn't have snow plows, so everyone is stuck at home until the snow/ice melts.  I know I'm not the only one who is ready for winter to end.  

13 comments:

  1. What a cute quilt! I'm sure she'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure she will enjoy the quilt. The template plastic hack is a great one. I will keep that in mind.
    I have been ready for winter to end since the first cold day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She will love this quilt! It is darling and I love the colors and your pinwheel border. This has been one heck of a snowy/cold winter. I'm looking forward to spring. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adorable quilt for your granddaughter. Those pinwheels are perfect around it! And we had a snow day too up here in Canada...it's -20C this morning and bright sunshine today on the sparkling snow. Hubby didn't have school yesterday due to all the buses canceled. He had a PD day Friday and Monday was Family day so it was a welcome looooong weekend! We are embracing winter yet up here as our cold and winter last awhile longer. By March break (third week of March) we start looking for warmer weather. Meanwhile, we're hunkered down to sew up a storm :-). Quite a challenge for those southern states where they are not prepared for this cold. We are totally prepared for this stuff up here. Hopefully they get some warmer weather and the ice melts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this quilt is so cute yes praying for people in texas to get power back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our kids and several friends are all in the same boat. Some are having to paddle harder than others!!! Not that we have lived here long, but a plow came down the road yesterday!!! News said that we have had a week below freezing, longer since we live outside the Louisville metro and are rarely ever touched on weather wise, but we are one of the 29 counties they cover... You are making good use of your time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! Your granddaughter will love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh - she is going to LOVE this!! and will cherish it whenever it comes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute little quilt that is sure to be loved!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Know of a few in TX without power as well, along with another who has broken (frozen) water pipes. Yep, am grateful for our power and heat so I can enjoy this snow! Glad you got some time to work on things!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a super quilt! I'm sure your machines are happy to contribute to the effort, even when they fall short of the space issues. That's going to be one happy little girl!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).