Saturday, March 13, 2021

Cleaning a Machine

 I have several machines that I've never cleaned.  Sometimes they come in the door, and I don't have time to clean them, so they get put away and forgotten.  Well, this machine came in the door way back in March 2016.  It came in a cabinet with a knee control.  I gave the cabinet away shortly after I got the machine.  I seldom keep cabinets unless they are in really good condition.  Cabinets take up too much space.  

Here are the before photos.  I'll add in a few of the photos after I've cleaned, to show the difference.  I've spent about 7 hours cleaning this machine.

dirty machine

The wiring on the motor was in shreds.

rust on the motor where the belt would attach

shredded wiring on motor and light

Someone had added a light at some point.  Instead of how Singer attached motors, using the round metal plate on the back of the machine, they had drilled a hole in the back of the machine and screwed the light directly onto the machine.

drilled into the cast iron to attach the light

The light rubbed against the decals on the back of the machine each time the light was turned on/off.  Thank goodness it didn't do more damage to the decals.  The word 'Singer' is scratched up.

cleaned machine, showing scratched decals on the word 'Singer'

The bobbin winder was really rusty.  When I started, the bobbin winder was frozen stiff.  I had to oil it before I could clean it.  Thank goodness the oil worked quickly.  I managed to get it mostly dissembled so that I could clean the metal parts.  Here are photos of before and after cleaning.

showing rust, before I oiled the parts

I took photos as I took this apart, so that I could get it back together again.  

more parts taken off

rusty and pitted metal

rusty, and old dirty oil on the metal

cleaned and re-assembled bobbin winder

The tension unit was really rusty, too.  I took it apart and cleaned each part.

rusty tension unit

rusty tension post

dirty tension parts (always take them off in order so that you can put them back on in the proper order)

cleaned tension parts

clean tension, re-assembled

I cleaned up lots of other metal parts, too.
rusty bobbin area

filthy and rusty bobbin case

bobbin area

cleaned parts

I don't remove the presser bar or the needle bar when I clean.  I did clean these while they were still on the machine.  The only rust was on the part that is next to the base of the machine.
dirty presser bar and needle bar & foot

clean presser bar and needle bar

The bobbin cover plate was missing on this machine.  I used one from another machine.  It also cleaned up nicely.

The previous owner used masking tape on the bed of the machine.  The tape was still stuck on in places (and brittle).  I cleaned the tape residue off the bed, but the adhesive had damaged the paint.  You can see in the photos where the tape was (in front of and behind the bobbin cover and also across the middle of the bed of the machine.  I'm glad it didn't damage the decals.  I've been adding sewing machine oil, letting it sit, then cleaning, then adding oil....repeat, repeat, repeat, for the past few days.  
masking tape on machine bed

the tape was across the decals in the middle

pitted paint where the tape had been (adhesive has been cleaned off)

this part had less pitting


Now you've seen why I spent 7+ hours cleaning this machine. 

Remember this dirty machine?
before cleaning


Here she is, all cleaned up and converted to a hand crank.

1922 Singer 66 hand crank, clean and shiny

I got nice stitches as soon as I tried to sew on her.  I was expecting to have to fiddle with the tension, since I'd removed and cleaned it.
pink is bobbin thread, blue is top thread


Not bad for a 99 year old machine.

Now to get some sewing done!


13 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh you are a wizzard! This would be so daunting to me. This is a beautiful ol' gal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an incredible feat! You put so much patience and love into your work. Hats off, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Did you make the base the machine is in now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It looks new! I'm so glad you have the talent to save some of these old beauties. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing job she is beautiful. I a. Hoping for a treadle one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't that machine also known as a 'red eye'. She is beautiful!!! Nice way to spend a day with mindless important type of task. Somedays just need this kind of thing to do, the outcome and meditation time are sometimes just what we need to recharge the body and brain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sure have a knack with these machines. So glad you are able to rescue them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job, Cheryl! Looking forward to seeing you in June at the Missouri TOGA. We just made our motel reservations! Maybe you could demonstrate some in-depth machine cleaning techniques at TOGA.

    Gina in Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my - how amazing is that transformation!! it is so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are amazing! It looks so pretty now and ready to show off its stitching abilities. Have you mentioned anywhere what products you use to get the rusty parts so clean and everything looking brand new. It is definitely a worthwhile skill you have. Patience must be your middle name. Dar in Mo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, what a lovely job you did, cleaning her up!

    I've recently acquired a 1912 back-clamp 66 red-eye in similar condition to this one, and I know enough about how to clean and oil it that I've got it treadling and sewing smoothly, but I don't know how to do the cosmetic clean-up work on the metal and chrome and decals. Would you be willing to share the techniques and products you use, or to point me to a few tutorials?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).