Saturday, January 29, 2022

Only a bit of sewing this week

 I haven't done much sewing this week.  I did finish the second Striped Circle quilt top.  It finished at 59 1/2" x 77 1/2".  

2nd Striped Circle quilt top

The Striped Circle quilt top was my 'January' challenge for my little quilt guild's UFO Challenge.  I did pretty well, considering I finished TWO quilt tops, not just one quilt top.  All we had to do was work on the January UFO during the month.  We didn't have to complete it.  I have so many UFO's that I also have a 'Bonus UFO' listed for each month.  I haven't worked on my January 'Bonus UFO' yet, but, I still have another day.  I have worked on another month's 'Bonus UFO' and I'm almost finished with it (stitching Pin Cushion Thread Catchers closed).  I only have 2 of the 10 I made, left to stitch closed.  Not bad.

I also made 2 fabric postcards in a Zoom class today.  They were fun to make, and pretty quick.  

front of both postcards

back of postcard

Yes, these can go thru the mail.  The stamp has to be sticky backed, not a 'lickable' stamp (those have to be sewn on or glued).  

My Treadle On group is having an Attachment block exchange. For this exchange we have to use one of the attachments that fits one of our treadle or hand crank sewing machines (ex: ruffler, tucker, binder, etc.).  I've never used any of my attachments before, other than a zipper foot.  I didn't even know what attachments I had.  I started going thru the attachments that I've collected at thrift stores and antique shops over the years.  I decided to make a list of what I have and keep it on the computer.  I listed the name of the attachment, who it is made by (if known) and the part number, along with the shank info (low, slant, high, top or back clamp).  This will be a work in progress for a long time, since I keep any attachments that came with a particular machine, with that machine.  I do know that the random attachments I've collected are many.  I'm also listing them by 'box' or 'tin' (ex: Red metal Accessories tin) or what machine they are with.  This way I'll be able to find specific attachments when I want them.  Next I'll have to learn how to use these attachments to make blocks.  A nice learning experience for me.

My 1913 Willcox & Gibbs treadle  has been busy traveling this past week.  Last Saturday it was picked up in Flagstaff, AZ by a friend of my nieces and driven to Albuquerque.  On Monday, my sister-in-law picked it up from my niece.  That evening, she passed it on to someone else to drive to Silver City, NM.  On Wednesday, it was picked up in Silver City.  My friends who picked it up will have it until late March, when they will be heading to Wisconsin, which is when I'll finally get it.  Woohoo!  Till then, it gets to visit Texas, Arkansas, Missouri and Illinois (in their RV).  


14 comments:

  1. Those postcards are really cute. I had to sit here and figure out how to make the cat. (grin) Quilt block piecing is like a puzzle to me....so I hardly ever buy a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those kitties are so cute!!! I make postcards often... I just recently made several for birthdays using my Cricut machine to cut the fabric. Little cupcakes, all I had to do was choose the fabric, add the fusible and place on the mat(s). The Cricut did the cutting, fuse and stitch. Was it faster? Not sure yet, but it was kinda fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made postcards. Yours are so cute! I never knew they could go through the mail with a stamp. Nice! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute postcards. Woohoo on 2 finishes. That is quite the endeavor listing and recording all the attachments, but is an excellent idea. Kind of like me doing all my patterns. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right now your W&G treadle is enjoying sunny weather at Garner State Park in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute postcards!!! that circle quilt is really cool too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got to see you on Zoom yesterday. We were traveling to see my 2 month old granddaughter, so I had to do it by phone. It was great to follow along and see you! I wish I had a new machine coming. It has been awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a journey your treadle is having! You will have to include it in it's journal;) I think you did great with your week's accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another beautiful stripe and circle quilt. I have a treadle still sitting in a friends garage, but it won't come home until Spring. We need to get some muscle men and a solid pick up to transport that baby.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've been busy! I like that circles and strips quilt. Have fun documenting your attachments!! We spent some time sorting last summer and have lots more to put into the bins next summer lol. They multiply.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, I have never heard of a fabric postcard, and that they can go through the mail?? This I have to try! Hope everything/one is well--looks like you've gotten some nice sewing time in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute quilt top, Cheryl, and those cat postcards are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like that you are using your leftover circles for another top. I probably would have used it as a back, cause I have way too many tops already that may never get finished, and I love to use my stash by piecing backs. You on the other hand, finish so many more.😊

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).