Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Sewing and a New Design Wall

I was asked to make some placemats for a friend.  She wanted something that looked like Spring/Flowers.  I'd seen something online years ago (can't remember where), and decided to do something similar.

I made 4 different blocks, using fabrics from the Pioneer Woman collection.


Then I cut each block into quarters, and stitched a quarter of each block into a center square block.


I then used some of the extra strips I'd cut to make side pieces.

placemats

I finished 8 of these placemat tops.  I have the center squares stitched to make another set of 8 placemats and a set of 6 placemats.  I need to cut more strips for the 2nd & 3rd sets.  Meanwhile, I spray basted the first set just before supper.  Hopefully I'll get them quilted in the next few days.  

At my little quilt guild's sew-in last Thursday, Sharon showed us a portable design wall that she had made.  She'd gotten the idea online.  Well, I copied her idea, and made me 2 of the portable design walls.

To make the portable design walls, you need one of the folding cardboard sewing mats, 2 curtain rods (48"-84" adjustable) and 10 large binder clips.  You also need some batting and some packing tape.

I already had several different folding cardboard sewing mats that I've picked up at thrift stores and garage sales over the years (they are great for protecting my dining room table when I spray baste small quilts).  These come in two different sizes.  I pulled out two of the larger sizes (72" long instead of 60" long).

2 sizes of folding cardboard sewing mats

I cut batting to cover these, and folded the extra batting around the back and taped it.

batting taped to the back of the folding cardboard mat

Next, you take your adjustable curtain rod and lay it along the edge of the mat, on the back, and attach it with the binder clips.

front of portable design wall

back, showing the curtain rods

I made two of these.

2nd wall is folded

Now I need to make some bags to store these in.  These will be great to take to sew-ins, etc.

Another lady at my sew-in, had a different portable design wall.  She'd bought a folding display board, then covered the front of it with batting, and taped the batting to it.  Her portable design board sits on her table by her sewing machine.  Both are great ideas for portable design walls.


11 comments:

  1. I have one of those design walls you just made and use it all the time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute placemats! I love the idea for the design walls. Thanks for sharing. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your placemats are so cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such pretty placemats! I love all that color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh aren't those placemats so pretty!!!! I love that idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous placemats, and what a neat idea for a portable design wall. I have my ginormous one made of foam core boards for insulation. I currently have to room, perhaps not so in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheryl, the placemats are gorgeous! I love the fabric you chose. The design wall is practical and affordable. Thanks for the great project ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute placemats. The portable design wall is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the placemats might have to make some. I need square ones for my round table rectangle ones do not work. I have one of the design boards too long time ago Pat Speth from nickle quilts came to Decatur quilt and showed how to do this in her lecture great to take to retreats also have used it in my sewing room where do not have place for a design wall lean it up against the long arm. great demo of it. I used a flannel backed table cloth for mine and taped it on back cut off excess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. forgot to ask size of the square you made before cutting it in 4th. thanks

      Delete
  10. Great ideas for portable design boards! I need to make one to take to a quilt retreat later this month.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).