Friday, May 6, 2022

April was Busy!

Last time I posted was March 24th.  It's been a whirlwind since then.  

First, I traveled to Texarkana, Arkansas for the first ever Texarkana TOGA (Treadle On Gathering & Academy).  Lots of people that I knew from other TOGA's past, and some new friends. There were lots of classes taught at the TOGA.

Missy teaching how to use the ruffler

Gina teaching Missy how to tat

Gina teaching tatting

some of Gina's tatted items

some of Gina's tatted items


Sue teaching something

Margaret teaching chicken pin cushions

Lisa teaching how to make straps for hauling machine cases

straps for hauling machine cases

Me teaching paper piecing

teaching how to make tea bag and food packet wallets

tea bag & food packet wallet

 The world is a small place.  I was chatting with someone at the TOGA, and was asked where in Texas I used to live.  I mentioned my hometown, and a lady who had just walked up said that she knew people who lived there, her niece's inlaws, then mentioned her nieces husbands name... which was my brother-in-laws name.  My sister-in-law's aunt and uncle were at the TOGA.  

Phyllis, Mac and me

Between classes at the TOGA, there is a 'hospital' for machines that need help (I had 3 machines that visited the hospital during the TOGA), and lots of visiting and other things going on, including the raffle table at the very end of the TOGA.

Teaching someone how to make quilt blocks for next year's raffle quilt (yes, I have permission to show her)

on of the hospital tables with Dr. Margaret

Dr. Floyd working on my new Wizard machine




raffle table


some of the machines that were for sale

Maria and me

Two raffle quilts (due to postponed TOGA's)






I went to the TOGA with 7 machines in my car (5 of the machines were heading to other people and were NOT mine, I was just helping with Pony Express rides) and I left the TOGA with a new (to me) machine.  On Thursday, a lady brought an aqua and cream Wizard sewing machine.  Well, I've been wanting a Wizard machine, since my family is really big into Harry Potter.  Meet Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore (Dumbledore for short).  This is a straight stitch machine made by Brother in Japan, back in the 1950's.

Dumbledore, my new Wizard sewing machine

Dumbledore's new spool pin doily

I did get to help with another Pony Express ride on the way home.  I got to haul this pretty Willcox & Gibbs in a parlor cabinet.  
Willcox & Gibbs straight stitch machine

After the TOGA, I got to give the baby quilt to the new baby.  I loved getting to snuggle with him, too.  This is my cousin's newest grandbaby.
He really likes his new quilt

getting lots of snuggles

I didn't take many photos for the rest of the trip, but I did get to visit with some family and friends.  My in-laws live a few blocks from my mother, and they are friends.  
my in-laws

my mother and my father-in-law

On the trip back home, I stopped in the St. Louis area to see a friend, and to pick up a sewing machine that she had picked up for me.  No photos of Dar (she doesn't like having her photo taken) but I do have photos of the little Singer 20 Sew Handy machine that she found for me (most likely made in the 1970's in Turkey, but still working on info on this little chain stitcher).




I only had a few days after I got back before my in-laws arrived for Hubby's 60th Birthday.  They stayed for over a week.  My in-laws are great.  

Being gone for 2 weeks, then having guests for over a week, with little time in between is why I haven't gotten much sewing done.  I did take some hand work on my trip, but only got to work on it a few times at the TOGA.  I finished 4 sewing caddies at the TOGA, but someone saw them and wanted to buy one of them.

sewing caddies

I finished the last one at home this week.  I'm keeping this one for myself.



These sewing caddies were on Elephantz blog back in 2015.  I made another one with the embroidery, but gave it away years ago. 

I've been working on several other sewing kits for the Missouri TOGA in June.  I also needed one for a gift, and finished all the pieces this week.





I got the idea for this sewing kit from one that was given to me last September.  A lady from my little quilt guild made everyone a sewing kit for our Annual Tea.  I found all the parts online (saved to my Pinterest page).

When I got home from my trip, this cute little key chain was waiting for me from Darlene and Sally.

Bunny key chain

Hopefully I'll be blogging more frequently.  I've been behind on blog reading, but I'm going to start fresh and get back to reading blogs again.  I miss reading blogs, but I'll never get caught up, so starting fresh is a better idea.


13 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you certainly have been busy. Loved all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "something" Sue is teaching is probably cord making. The tool she is holding looks to be a lucet. The Vikings are believed to have made cords for clothing that way.
    Y'all have an interesting variety of activities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Realized that we hadn't heard from you in a while, but figured you were busy. And of course you are!!! So glad that you are enjoying life!!! You are looking great by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a great trip. Nice sewing caddies. Cute baby. Not much sewing getting done here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And thank you for the darling sewing kit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my I can just tell you had a fun time on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There was quite a variety of classes taught at the TOGA! I learned a little bit about tatting and cord making a long time ago but I've never done anything with that knowledge. I love the sewing caddies; thanks for the pattern link. Happy Birthday to Hubby. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much TOGA and family fun - sounds like a great trip! Congrats on the new Wizard machine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you had a great time! I admire anyone who can tat. I took a class in it and wasn't able to get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have been very busy. The TOGA looks awesome, and so much stuff on the raffle table. Love your new machine! Your parents and in laws are adorable. How cool that the in laws came to visit for hubby's 60th birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whew!!! Sounds like a whirlwind!!! TOo cool that you got to see people that you kinda new!! too cool - and the baby!! so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! So much fun here! I love that everyone taught something! I bet that was just great to learn so many new things!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).