Monday, October 30, 2023

Trunk or Treat and Some Stitching

I have been stitching.  I guess I finally got some sewing Mojo back.  

Last February, when I was in Anchorage, my granddaughter was given some fabric at a local quilt store.  I promised my granddaughter that I'd make something with her fabric.  

Gwendolynn's fabric

Well, I'd bought a used Accuquilt Studio in January, and I'd seen a cute pattern on their website.  I ordered the Go! Dresden Plate die.  

I finally started pulling fabrics to go with Gwendolynn's fabric.



Cutting most of it out on the Accuquilt was quick and fun.  Stitching the Dresden plate pieces was quick.

Dresden plate parts

That is enough parts for 16 placemats.  I'm making 12 placemats for my son's family (they already have 5 kids, so they need more than 8 placemats) and 4 placemats for us.

I made the bases of the placemats first, then quilted them.  I stitched the binding onto the front of the placemats before I started adding the 'turkey' parts.  I added the turkey tail feathers, and stitched them down.


Then I added the turkey legs and stitched them down.  That was harder to do, since they are such skinny legs.  It's hard to see under the walking foot.  Stitching the turkey's tummy down was pretty fast.



I stitched the turkey's nose and eyes to the head before I fused it down and then stitched around the head.  Now I'm stitching the binding down on the back of the placemats.  I've only finished the binding on 2 so far.  

Saturday, our church had Trunk or Treat again.  We had about 100 children attend (not counting parents, etc.).  It was a good turnout.  We decided to do a covered wagon this year.  I got to wear my pioneer dress and bonnet that Thelma (Missouri TOGA) made me.  

hubby & I in our costumes (well, I'm in costume, his are his regular clothes)

our covered wagon

Here are some of the other decorated cars.


Gru & Minions

Jurassic Park/Trunk

inside Jurassic Park

Cousin It (Addam's Family) and Waldo

scarecrow & 1950's poodle skirt

carnival



Candyland

Christmas, they had ornaments that could be decorated

Super Mario 

Cookie Monster

I'm glad the weather on Saturday was nice.  We're expecting snow on Halloween and windy conditions (Brrr!).  Poor kids.  I hope we still have lots of Trick or Treaters, since I still have tons of candy (I don't want to keep it around, or I'll eat all the candy).

Happy Halloween!




5 comments:

  1. Trunk or Treat, what a cute idea! We woke to a white lawn this morning and the wind is whipping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What cute turkey placemats. And your church function looks like it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I LOVE your turkey placemats!! they are fabulous!!
    and what fun trunk or treat!! yours is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your turkey placemats! I made some similar many years ago and the grands loved them. The trunk or treat looks like fun - some great ideas. Your covered wagon is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny - your turkey mats. Still headless, just right for Halloween. Your wagon is great, and I love your costume.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).